Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,319   Online: 971

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I should have said 1 gallon, instead of 1 liter. I meant 1 gallon in my mind. Sorry about that. I admit I might have jumped into a conclusion too fast. The Z131 publication still lists 1 gallon sized developer for small rotary processors. If Kodak has discontinued it the publication would have also been updated to exclude it. There is really nothing on Kodak web site that specifically says about the discontinuation of that package. I sure hope it is not. I don't believe it will any time soon. I think due to the explosive growing cost for shipment many retailers probably are not restocking chemicals as fast as they used to. That might have been the cause of shortage rather than being discontinued.

In my opinion if small package chemicals are no longer offered by Kodak there will be significantly fewer people shooting films. It has the effect of pushing people away toward digital. Thanks a lot, PE. You are truly the light house of photo chemicals in this forum. I look upon you for directions all the time here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do my best. Thanks.

Just remember that the Kodak web site and any information I get may be wrong as well. It seems that this developer can be purchased, but I would think that some companies don't want to buy it in the minimum quantities now required. So that might be the problem and they just say "It isn't available anymore".

So, lets hope Mike and everyone else can find it.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It should be noted that the Kodak pub Z-131 on the website was last updated 3/03. A recent change may not yet be noted. Since the major sellers of the product - B&H, Adorama, Calumet no longer sell the 1 gal version, if it is not discontinued yet, it will be soon for lack of sufficient volume to support it.

The reference given to Camcor is helpful in one respect:
    The cost of 1 gal with shipping to my location is $45.52. The cost of the 5 gal plus starter with shipping from Adorama is $45.90. A bit more than the approx $18 with shipping that I paid for the 1 gal, but I don't have to get much past 1 gal worth to be ahead on the 5 gal version against the model now available. I guess I need to shoot a lot more C-41.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW
    I don't know what the keeping qualities of the developer in the sealed from factory state is, however, Camcor told me the Hazmat charge only applies once for up to 12 quantity. So if it keeps a year plus, or if someone else is nearby and can combine an order, buying several bottles lowers the cost quite a bit.

Jim
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just checked a wholesale photo chemical supplier for Southern and Northern California. Found that the Kodak 1 gallon developer #1927698 is still listed on their web site. See this:

http://www.changsphoto.com/inventory.../kodakchem.php

This really says it is still available. This is a wholeale supplier. If you are close to its warehouse you can buy any quantity small or large and go there to pick up to save shipping cost. They have will call department for local pickup. I think they have every photo chemical Kodak sells. This is an alternative from buying from Adoroma or B&H. They don't mention Hazment charge on their web site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The plastic bottle version keeps about 3 years and the glass bottle version keeps about 5. The smallest bottle is the CD4 and if it is dark, the kit is bad.

Kodak updates the web site just about daily, so if the product is there, it is available! They immediately announce any product that is discontinued.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Something doesn't quite track here - the "Flexicolor Developer" - which would be the 1 gal version is no longer listed on this page for rotary tube processing (actually not listed at all):

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/busin...?pq-path=12549

Instead it lists the "Flexicolor SM" as usable for rotary tube - I'm sure I read in the past that package was only for SM processors! This page seems to be out of synch with pub Z-131.

Am I confused or what??

I'm really not trying to slam EK. It does seem to appear that the Flexicolor Developer in the 1 gal that doesn't need a starter is gone.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob;

If you look at the URL I posted earlier here, it is still listed though. And people have found it still available. I think it may be due to the fact that a "subcontractor" now operates the former chemicals division at Kodak Park and there has been a miscommunication. Remember, Kodak sold all process solution making about a year ago to a French firm.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Bob;

If you look at the URL I posted earlier here, it is still listed though. And people have found it still available. I think it may be due to the fact that a "subcontractor" now operates the former chemicals division at Kodak Park and there has been a miscommunication. Remember, Kodak sold all process solution making about a year ago to a French firm.

PE
    Okay assuming that one can still order these 1 and 3.5 gal sizes of C-41 chemicals that doesn't require starter, are instructions available for processing in a Jobo rotary processor - (rotation speed)?

I'm certainly glad this thread got started as I've been totally confused by the Kodak C-41 film product mix as it pertains to small volume users, like myself amd others.

Having the ability to process 120 C-41 film means that I will shoot a lot more of it than I have in the past since professional finishing has become expensive and hard to find locally.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jobo recommends the film rotation speed which is marked in the instructions. On the dial on some Jobo units there is an F and a P, choose the one that gives the higher cycle rate.

Do not use a slow rate of agitation and do use a good prewet. I use 1 - 3 mins and a 3.25' development time as suggested by Kodak. I have posted the C41 cycle here elsewhere.

PE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin