Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,244   Online: 861

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

C41 chemistry--what for developer?

I will be doing quite a bit of C41 in a Jobo ATL-1500, but I'm confused about what chemistry to use going forward. I recently bought the separate Kodak Flexicolor chemicals, but now find that the developer solution I bought (Flexicolor Developer, mfr #1927698, three components to make one gallon of working solution) has been discontinued.

I see various "developer/starter" and "developer/replenisher" solutions available, but not certain which ones to buy for this sort of one-shot, unreplenished rotary-tube processing. Kodak's website and instructions for Flexicolor are not crystal clear (!) on this; previous threads here suggest that the "LORR" or "SM" developers are appropriate for a Jobo, but neither Adorama nor Calumet in the US carry them; and B&H won't ship what it does carry.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Last edited by MikeSeb; 07-01-2008 at 10:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adorama has and will ship nearly all the C41 chemistry, I use the Flexicolor replenisher with starter (not the LORR) as it comes out about the least expensive way to do it.

Developer: http://www.adorama.com/KKFCDR5G.html
    Starter: http://www.adorama.com/KKFCDS.html

If you recapture your bleach and aerate/regen you can get quite a long life out of it.

erie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Erie, I take it that you have to mix the replenisher with the starter to make the working solution? Is this something you'd do for each processing session, or would you mix it all up at once and store as a working solution?

From what I gather, the SM solutions are the recommended ones for small-volume nonreplenished processing, but they're not readily available from any source I've found that would ship.

Looks like B&H will ship a Tetenal C-41 developer; any reason it couldn't be used with Kodak bleach, fix, and stabilizer/rinse? Anyone with any experience with these Tetenal solutions (other than the kits?).

Thanks again everyone.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    now find that the developer solution I bought (Flexicolor Developer, mfr #1927698, three components to make one gallon of working solution) has been discontinued.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    I am also planning to get back into my own color developing so I Googled and found that Camcor.com has it. Called them, its in stock.
    Here is the page. http://www.camcor.com/cgi-bin/cat/id...l_1927698.html

Jim
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, current Kodak supplied C-41 developer solutions are replenishers that require the addition of a starter to make working developer. All solutions are liquid concentrates, and you could only mix up the amount you would use within a reasonable amount of time. The concentrates will last some time in the bottles. Now Kodak "may" only give you directions to mix up the whole kit, but with a calculator you can "figure" out how to mix up a smaller quantity. Each bottle is listed with the fluid ounces it contains. For example if a bottle contains 16 ounces, and is designed to "make" 3.5 gallons of solution, first you would divide 16 by 3.5 to get the 1 gallon quantity. That would be 4.57 ounces. and so forth. Only want to make 1/2 gallon? divide 4.57 by 1/2. Since all C-41 chemistry is liquid concentrates, you have no problems like with powder chemistry where the various elements of the powder might not be mixed evenly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike,

Google Z-131 before you go any further, it will asnwer every question you have, and probably some you may haven't thought of yet.. Phototone, Kodak supplies information for mixing 1L solutions in the aforementioned tech bulletin.

erie

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    Looks like B&H will ship a Tetenal C-41 developer; any reason it couldn't be used with Kodak bleach, fix, and stabilizer/rinse? Anyone with any experience with these Tetenal solutions (other than the kits?).
    I've never used the Tetanal C-41 products, but AFAIK there's no reason you couldn't use their developer with Kodak's bleach and fixer. Currently I'm using a mix-it-yourself C-41 developer with Kodak's bleach and fixer, and the results seem fine. I've also used Paterson's C-41 developer with Kodak's bleach and fixer, again with no obvious problems. (Ask me again in 20 years how my negatives have stood up over time, though....)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I've never used the Tetanal C-41 products, but AFAIK there's no reason you couldn't use their developer with Kodak's bleach and fixer. Currently I'm using a mix-it-yourself C-41 developer with Kodak's bleach and fixer, and the results seem fine. I've also used Paterson's C-41 developer with Kodak's bleach and fixer, again with no obvious problems. (Ask me again in 20 years how my negatives have stood up over time, though....)
    But then again, why would you? the two items I had listed cost ~$32 for five gallons of color developer. I doubt the tetenal is any cheaper (and wager it's probably a lot more per gallon) I frequently buy larger quantities of color chemistry, and with moderate usage (around 50 120 rolls or their equivilent a month) have not had any go bad yet. iI use a Wing Lynch Pro6 processor, everything is one shot, except the bleach, which is recovered, aerated and regenerated.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, the 1 gal. kit is gone, according to every store I have asked.

I have ten of them stockpiled.

With what they have now, you have to buy starter and replenisher. I just figgered out the exact details by looking at the bottles on the shelf at Samy's the other day, but I could not tell you exactly what to buy from memory. I think you mix up a starter stock and a replenisher stock, and mix the two to develop. I will go check again in a few days if you'd like.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The flexicolor chemistry isn't that expensive, in fact, some say you can also use the color fixer for b&w work as well (it's certainly less expensive). By reusing bleach and buying the 5gal kit of developer, it's qute affordable. There is a 1 gal developer as well, though I've never used it, some swear by it.

erie

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin