Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,006   Online: 775

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Possible cross processes for Ilfochrome

Hello,

I was given a ton of old Cibachrome, Ilford Cibachrome, and Ilfochrome paper and chemistry.

Due to the expense of these materials, and my proclivity to experiment, I took it all without question, and decided to deal with it later if it didn't work out.

Well, I am pretty sure the chems won't work out. I have NO developer part A, and the bleach powder has started liquefying and burning its way through the metal bags in which it is sealed. No leaks thanks to smart packaging by Ilford, with a plastic seal around the interior metal bag. Bloody shame, as I have what would amount to almost $1,000-worth of chemicals at the current $45/liter rate from Freestyle. So I will be taking these to the next hazmat roundup. I don't feel bad about taking them, because the guy I got them from was sure as hell not going to dispose of them properly.

However, I am interested in using up the paper, as I'm sure there must be some way to make something interesting, or at least fun, with it.

I imagine that even with fresh chems from Freestyle, the paper won't be much good for a "normal" print, as it is quite old.

Any thought on possible cross processes to get an image (any image)?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-08-2008 at 06:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'm not an expert but from my understanding of how ilfochrome works, to get some color image you need the ilfochrome bleach which is different form used in b&w or other color processes. IIRC the developer and fixer are more less like standard b&w, they may need some particular pH or ingredients but its nothing out of ordinary.

The bleach is the problem. It may or may not be possible to mix a working bleach from scratch. IIRC there should be something on that in apug forum archive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks.

I will just try some with the kit from freestyle and see how they turn out.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is really no cross processing for Ilfochrome materials that gives anything worth-while but you might try something like this.

Develop D-19
    stop
    wash
    bleach in a sulfuric acid / dichromate bleach (if this acts on the dyes to give a dye weak image then stop here because it won't work)
    clear
    wash
    Develop in D19 again
    Ilfochrome dye bleach solution or some such as I give below...
    wash
    fix
    wash
    dry

Now, if you start with a slide, if this works, it should give you a high contrast negative image. If you start with a negative, it should give you should get a distorted positive image.

Dye bleach solution:

Na or K Br - bromide salt. about 50 g/l
    Sulfuric or sulfamic acid to pH 2
    Phenazine, 50 mg / liter

Thats about all I can suggest and it probably won't work well if it works at all.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin