Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,099   Online: 982

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Source for CD-1?

Hi,

As described in this other thread, I recently bought some out-of-date Svema CND64 color negative film to play with. I'm obviously not expecting stellar results, but if possible I'd like to try developing it the "right" way. I've got most of the information I need to process it (though a few details are still foggy or could use confirmation), but the developer formula calls for CD-1, and I'm having trouble tracking down a source for that. Can anybody point me to a supplier who'll sell a small quantity (25g would probably be plenty, but I'll buy more if necessary -- just not barrelfuls of the stuff!) to an individual? Or if you've got some sitting unused that you'd like to get rid of, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I'm in the US, so a US supplier is preferred. Thanks for any pointers!

Failing CD-1, what's my best bet for developing such a film? Could I substitute another CD (I've got CD-3 and CD-4 on hand) in the formula, and if so at what ratio? Using standard RA-4 or C-41 (at room temperature to avoid damaging the emulsion) is obviously another possibility.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My 1975 BJP Annual says that Agfacolor CN17 'is processed in the same manner as Agfacolor CNS' and that uses Diethyl paraphenylenediamine according to the accompanying spiel.

I'd say, use the ones you've got. Prolly better.

My memory of using PPD in the late 50's was that I bought it for reversal mainly and B&W secondarily. For all I know CD-1 may be plain ol' PPD.

Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Kelly View Post
    My memory of using PPD in the late 50's was that I bought it for reversal mainly and B&W secondarily. For all I know CD-1 may be plain ol' PPD.
    It is, at least according to various sources. The clearest of these is this page, which pins down the CAS number: 6283-63-2. (Minor spelling differences make Web searches on the full chemical name tricky.) Using that, I was able to find three suppliers of small quantities in the US, but I've yet to contact any of them, so I don't yet know if they'll sell to an individual (vs. a business, university, etc.). I'll post more when I know....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In order of activity you have CD-1, CD-4, CD-6 and CD-3 with 4 and 6 about tied. So, if you substitute CD-3 for CD-1 and everything else is equal, development is likely to be very weak with the CD-3. In CD-1 you have a very active developer, with low dye stability and high chance of getting dermatitis.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes, everything I read about PPD is the dermatitis danger, yet it's used widely still, in hair dyes etc. Mind you the few times I used it I survived intact.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have quite a bit of CD-1 but hadn't checked it for sometime, unfortunately much of it seems to have deteriorated even in sealed 25g containers. Unfortunately I haven't time to sort out a good batch now until sometime in September/October when I'm next in the UK.

There will be CD-1 2, 3, 4 and Mydochrome, Genochrome available at nominal prices in 25g batches.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, due to its activity, CD1 deteriorates rapidly. Also, the dye hues with CD1 are quite different than those from the other developing agents due to the methyl group on the ring. The dyes with CD1 are not twisted on their plane and therefore have different hues and different dye stabilities, generally poorer.

CD1 in hair dyes has actually been precoupled IIRC and therfore is in the dye form which is much less toxic. In any event, it can still cause unpleasant reactions in some. They react it to form the colored dyes that go into the hair.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    In terms of my original question, the three US suppliers of small quantities of CD-1 that I've found are, in order of increasing price:

• Alpha Aesar at $21.50 for 50g. Unfortunately, when I called they said they wouldn't ship to a residential address.
    • Spectrum Chemical at $26.55 for 25g. I managed to place an order via their Web form, but I'll believe I'll actually get it when I get a confirmation that it's shipped.
    • Science Lab at $61.23 for 100g. That's less than Spectrum on a gram-per-gram basis, but the 100g minimum quantity means it would cost me more (and the others are less expensive when ordering more, too). Their Web site at least mentions sales to individuals (they sell educational kits like chemistry sets). I haven't tried ordering from them.

I think I'll bookmark the last two of these sites in case I need something else exotic in the future.

Shooter
    35mm
    An update: Spectrum phoned me and said they wouldn't ship to a residence. I've gritted my teeth and ordered from Science Lab. Their Web site looks more friendly to individuals, but I'm still not 100% positive they'll ship the stuff....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kyantec chemicals and the Photographers Formulary will special order. I have used both for some pretty rare chemistry.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin