Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,012   Online: 725

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am currently without a camera -gasp!

I was thinking of doing a little abstract project with a disposable "plastic lens" camera to hold me over until my main gear is up and running. I don't want them to be run of the mill snaps so am looking to get a surreal look. Some things that come to mind are to put a slight smear around the perimeter of the lens, and heating up the film so the colors shift. Has anyone experimented with anything like this? Would probably just use a standard 400speed disposable. Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    try a search of the old 70's Popular Photography magazines. People would take matches and lighter to their slides and try to pass them off as color abstract art. But it is a great way to get rid of old slides.

Images
    I think you are really going to need to heat the film if you want a change. I had one of those toss away cams in my glovebox for a couple of years. I had the snaps developed after getting rear ended last year. I could notice no change in color from the typical Kodak gold colors. Just a thought.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Take the film prosessed normally and put in fix for 30 hours it will crack the emulsion and make it look like the image was shot on a dry river bed.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sean, try doing something REALLY odd like taping a loupe to the front of the cam over the lens to distort it, or maybe taping on some funky filters. I had some fun with it while I was on a biz trip with no camera and some spare time.

I can tell you one thing NOT to do. I tried heating film by putting it in a microwave. It just doesn't work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might also try a semi pinhole effect, take foil and poke a pinhole in it, tape it over the lens with the pinhole part pushed in close to the lens. Then you shoot close in, like a foot or so using the flash on the camera. You can get some odd looking shots. Multiple pinholes can make for another unusual look.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks for all the suggestions guys

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you could try pointing the plastic lens into the sun (you've got some of that over there, haven't you? ) and experiment with flare! I bought my son a $2 plastic camera for a toy but we put a few rolls of B&W thru it and it has recorded some outragous flare (in his hands... I've tried using it for that reason and failed)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nige, maybe you forgot to put fingerprints on the lens before shooting? That's a surefire way to disappointing flare :P.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin