Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,446   Posts: 1,597,086   Online: 826

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Fastest colour films?

What are the fastest currently available colour slide and negative films available?

Shooter
    35mm
    Fuji does a 1600 neg colour. Haven't seen any faster than this.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak may still make epj 800/1600 speed 35mm slide film. Otherwise I think it would be Provia 400 as Kodak's 320 and 400 speed slide films are (i believe) gone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most 800 negative films, can be shot at 1600 easily and either processed normally or pushed one stop. An 800 silde film could be pushed to 1600 but would not give good shadows and blacks. Generally, the fast slide films are inferior to the fast negative films IMHO, although Fuji slide films are somewhat better for some purposes than Kodak slide films.

PE

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I just checked the kodak and fuji sites and the fastest neg film is fuki superior 1600 but in pro films its 800 for both manufacturers. I rekon 800 should do it.

Shooter
    35mm
    PE Slightly off subject and I hope Rob doesn't mind - it hardly seemed worth starting another tread. What would happen to a 1600 colour neg pushed to 3200? Would this be as good or nearly so as 800 pushed to 1600? Not sure what Rob is going to do with the info that prompted the thread but if its of any value to you Rob., I have used Fuji 1600 several times at evening airshows with very acceptable prints at 5x7 and only a little "grain" at 10x8. However there were occasions where a one stop push to 3200 would have been useful, hence the question to PE.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've pushed the old Kodak 1600 color neg film to 3200 and to 6400. The results were muddy colors, bad contrast and very high grain. There was high fog. Other than that, they were great.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    neg:

Fuji: Superia 1600 AKA Press 1600, Natura 1600 (Japan only), Superia 800 AKA Press 800, Pro 800Z

I have shot a whole press pack of Superia 1600 trying to love it, but I prefer underexposing Press 800 instead, and adding 30-45 sec. to the development. Even pushing Press 800 two stops or more looks sharper and less grainy than the 1600 shot and developed normally. 1600 is truly mushy and grainy, which is great for some things, but not if you want any semblance of sharpness.

Natura 1600 is great, but must be hunted down to some degree.

I prefer Press 800 to Pro 800Z as it seems sharper and punchier. It is also cheaper. Pro 800Z has a different color response, though, which is really nice.

And Kodak has its pretty-much direct equivalents, I am sure. I have used their Portra 800 in medium format only.

pos:

All the high-speed ones are gone, to my knowledge. Provia 400X is sweet, though...

I still have a bunch of medium format MS 100/1000 that I shoot every now and then. It's a nice film in my opinion, and still decently fresh if you can find it for sale 2nd hand. Do you want a sample roll or two?
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-26-2008 at 09:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    I just checked the kodak and fuji sites and the fastest neg film is fuki superior 1600 but in pro films its 800 for both manufacturers. I rekon 800 should do it.
    I'm not sure Superia 1600 is being currently produced - my local shop had some last year, I bought their last 3 rolls, and they have since said they can't get any in anymore (if it's something they don't regularly stock but can still get they usually tell me it's available but I'd have to buy a brick of it, so I don't think they're lying to me). Incidentally, I didn't care for it much - it seemed to have a different colour balance than other Superia formulations, even the 800 ISO, which was a bit surprising.

That said, apparently there is a Japan-only film (different than Superia 1600) called "Natura 1600" that has a cult following in Japan - lots of results on Flickr if you want to browse. Obviously outside of Japan you would have to get some via Megaperls.

For colour neg 800 ISO is still fairly available - most photo shops around me have either Kodak Portra 800 or Fuji Pro 800Z (35mm for sure, not sure about 120), or Superia 800 for consumer film (not sure how it compares to 800Z, but it seems to be available in dep't stores/supermarkets around here). Last fall I tried shooting Portra 800 at 1600 ISO and pushing 2 (not just one as you would expect) in development - results were pretty good for that speed. I had read about that combo on another board - some shadow detail loss as expected, but surprisingly good for that speed.

As for slide, I'm fairly certain 400 ISO is the fastest currently in production - I believe both Kodak and Fuji have offerings but I don't use slide that much.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like pro z rated at 1600 and pushed to 3200. I think I posted an example here... yes, this shot is from that, in 645 format.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin