Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,296   Online: 1064

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    anomalous red line in film = classic xray fogging. This is why I never use anyone but fedex to ship film.
    greyish sine-wave pattern=x-ray fogging.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You are trying to diagnose problems with Expired film purchased from Ebay. That is the problem. It is not shipping. You take a gamble with expired film that may or may not have been stored correctly, and it doesn't matter what the seller says.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sorry guys, I've been really busy for the past few days and haven't had a chance to check back. Also, I wanted to do test photos first and process it at a different lab before making comments.

First, I agree with Phototone - I don't think it's a shipping problem. And I did take a chance buying expired film off eBay. I may have gotten irrevocably burned

That said, I'm working up scan scans of my test rolls right now. I took Frotog's advice and had the rolls printed as well, just to see how they'd turn out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by allen_a_george View Post
    First, I agree with Phototone - I don't think it's a shipping problem. And I did take a chance buying expired film off eBay. I may have gotten irrevocably burned
    If it makes you feel any better, my latest out-of-date film purchase makes yours look wonderful by comparison. To be sure, I knew mine was a huge risk. I'd hoped to get something interesting and usable for odd effects, but I think it may have deteriorated past that point.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Wow . . . that . . . well, I've never seen anything like that.

Along these lines, just found an interesting thread in RFF on Portra 400VC: Portra 400VC - Is my scanner bad or does it look like this?

Shooter
    35mm RF

Update

I think my original problems were caused by three factors:
    1. Old film
    2. Operator error in using the scanner
    3. Poor(ish) processing

First, the film is not horrible. Minilab 4x6 prints come out very nicely. Unfortunately, scans from my V500 do show a lot of colored (but not obnoxious) grain in the shadows. Contrast seems to be lacking, and I simply can't get anything close to this in terms of smoothness (Flickr page). In other words, sounds like the standard effects of aging. Oddly enough, I don't get much better results rating either the 400VC or 400NC film at 200 vs. 320. Any ideas why?

It's interesting, but some of the cheap supermarket brand film I bought earlier scans a lot smoother than this stuff. Colors aren't to my taste at all, but very, very smooth. I've bought a fresh roll of 400VC at the extortionate price of $12 CDN to see the difference between the old stuff and a fresh batch.

Second, using any sort of USM with this film in Epson Scan is a really bad idea. Even low USM accentuates grain and makes it look like color noise. Moreover, you have to turn off USM for each frame in the preview window. I was turning it off for the first frame only, and assuming the software was applying the settings to all the images. Big mistake. Default setting in Epson Scan is "Medium USM", which interacts badly with the film I have.

And finally, I think there were some problems with the processing, because the test rolls I did weren't anywhere near as poor as the first three. Middling, but not shocking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Allen,

Just for grins how out of date was this stuff? Didn't see a reference to the expiration date. Not that it matters but...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    @Bruce:

400VC: 4 rolls from 2001, the rest, early 2007 (01/2007 and 03/2007)
    400NC: Most late 2006 (10/2006), a few early 2007 (01/2007)

Didn't think I was taking a crazy chance (other than the 2001).

Shooter
    35mm RF

Scans

400 VC, Test image, 1024px

400 VC, Test image, 100% crop from lower left corner

400 NC, Test image, 1024px

400 NC, Test image, 100% crop from lower left corner

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yea Allen, that stuff should have been fine. Probably was in someones trunk for awhile. Sorry my friend, I hope I have better luck. I'll know in 2-3 days. Thanks for the lowdown.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin