Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,824   Online: 1171

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

C41 processing at home...

I'll be doing my first C41 processing later this week and, if it goes well, I'll be processing my Ilford XP2 in this manner from now on. The processing kit that I'll be using is the Arista from Freestyle.

The C41 process looks pretty straightforward, except for the fact that the instructions tell me to wash the film before the stabilizer, not after it. It sounds as if I'm expected to hand up my film, dripping wet with stabilizer, and I'm not very comfortable about this.

For forty years, I've been gently sponging my black and white film after the wash, and I get immaculate results. I was hoping to do the same at the end of the C41 process.

So, can I wash the film in a conventional manner after the stabilizer or would this "de-stabilize" my film?

Thanks in advance,

Gary,
    East Snook, TX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get used to it. Color film or C-41 B&W film should not be washed or rinsed after the stabilzer. However, they can be gently wiped down.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You will have done washing before this step. Regard it as the final rinse with wetting agent of your classic B/W film and you will feel better (but DON'T skip it!).
    I also found it very weird when I did it the first time.

G

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The stabilizer (and/or) final rinse required for E-6 and C-41 processing must be used as the last wet step before hanging up. It is vital to the stability and health of the negatives and or transparencies. After soaking in the final rinse, I hang up my film, then dip a couple of photo sponges in the final rinse, wring out, and then gently sandwich the film between the sponges and wipe them down to remove excessive moisture. Just one gentle squeegie type wipe from top to bottom. I never have drying marks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Phototone -

<<<gently sandwich the film between the sponges and wipe them down to remove excessive moisture. Just one gentle squeegie type wipe from top to bottom>>>

That's exactly what I do with b&w films. It's good to hear that you're able to use this technique with the stabilizer.

If I thoroughly rinse my sponges after this step, they'll be OK for my b&w films, also?

thanks,

Gary,
    East Snook, TX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gary;

Color stabilzer will not hurt normal B&W film, but plain B&W wetting agent will harm color film and C41 B&W film.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Resoman View Post
    Phototone -

<<<gently sandwich the film between the sponges and wipe them down to remove excessive moisture. Just one gentle squeegie type wipe from top to bottom>>>

That's exactly what I do with b&w films. It's good to hear that you're able to use this technique with the stabilizer.

If I thoroughly rinse my sponges after this step, they'll be OK for my b&w films, also?

thanks,

Gary,
    East Snook, TX
    You bet, just saturate them with fresh water a few times and wring out a few times, and as PE says...a trace of color stabilizer will not hurt b/w film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ummm, I wet my sponges with stabilzer to wipe the film down. Wetting with water will dilute the stabilzer by a fair amount.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't bother with the sponges and just sandwhich the film with my fingers and run it down the film. I guess this might be a bad idea with C-41 since the stabilizer contains formalin correct? I do it with the E-6 final rinse (Kodak) which I hope is not so toxic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would not use my fingers with either color film stabilzer. I only use fingers with PF 200.

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin