Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,885   Online: 842

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have never ordered film by mail. I guess I better keep buying locally if I want to keep that option open to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Film is never kept chilled in transit, never. Retailers and vendors do keep pro film chilled, though.

All of these films are sent over here in large shipping containers on freight ships. These containers are NOT climate controlled.

I just thought I would add a note to this, I'm not sure about the rest of the world but i certainly know Kodak here ships some of their film materials in awesome white insulated boxes which inside have the film wrapped in special thermal plastic surrounded by special iced gel packs.

Certain lines of Kodak pro stocks are defiantly shipped in chilled containers in Australia.

~Steve
    The Lighthouse Lab
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    X ray film it is not exposed by directly X ray but by light.
    X ray film holders have in each side of the film holder an intensifying screen.
    The x ray film is placed in sandwich between the two intensifying screens.
    The intensifying screens are made with a material that glows when exposed to X rays, and is that light that expose x ray film.
    So it is no really X ray that expose the x ray film or another film.

I do not worry when my film passes through x ray.

Sorry for my poor english.

Shooter
    35mm
    Most carriers offer insurance against damaged goods, and for some a certain level of insurance is standard -- for instance, UPS provides $100 of insurance by default. I can't claim that I've read the fine print on this insurance, but unless that fine print includes a provision excluding damage to film from X-rays, I'd say that X-ray damage would constitute grounds to call in a shipping insurance claim. The carriers, of course, don't want to see this happen, although little enough of their business is in shipping film that it's probably not a big deal to them. It is a big deal to the likes of B&H, Adorama, and Freestyle, though, and I've seen no evidence that they take special precautions on this score.

Now for my personal experience: I've bought a lot of film (by my personal standards; perhaps 200 rolls) and paper (perhaps a dozen boxes) in the past five years or so. It's been shipped via UPS, FedEx, USPS, and perhaps other carriers. To date, I've seen no evidence of X-ray damage in any of this film or paper. Thus, I'm not very concerned about this issue, at least not for stuff shipped domestically. Since others are reporting similar lack of problems, this bolsters my own view that it's a non-issue. Perhaps it will become an issue in the future, but for the moment, it's not. I'd be more concerned about X-ray damage to film carried on an airplane.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are shipping containers that are heated, insulated, refrigerated to 2-4C, frozen at -20C, really frozen at -70C. Who's to say what the film makers actually use. Kodak coat film in china and package it in other countries, I highly doubt those large rolls are sent in a vanilla containers that may not even be water tight.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    There are shipping containers that are heated, insulated, refrigerated to 2-4C, frozen at -20C, really frozen at -70C. Who's to say what the film makers actually use. Kodak coat film in china and package it in other countries, I highly doubt those large rolls are sent in a vanilla containers that may not even be water tight.
    That reminds me of an event which happened some 5 yrs ago maybe longer now.... It was a Kodak issue. There was a warehouse fire and paper was heat damaged (or some how damaged) but the boxes looked fine and the material was sent down to us in australia then sold....but the goods were never tested. They were ruined and would not yield even tonality. It took months for the labs to collaborate on the issue and sort out with Kodak what really went on.

There is a second event I know of and I can not recall the dates but yes materials from China to Australia for Kodak did get water damaged and were also unusable.

There was also many times around 2003-2005 when Kodak was based in Melbourne
    and goods were being sent to Sydney. We often had to refuse receiving of items as they arrived via Toll looking like the company had played football with them.

lastly the special transport containers I mentioned earlier as of late the only products I have seen in them have been control strips, infra red materials and various Medical films. The expense of these containers surely added to Kodak's overheads and were scrapped for general films. However I do recall seeing other film types shipped in them.

~steve
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin