Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,810   Online: 845

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great photos! Thanks for the link Karl.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It was great to see those photos.

I really do love the Kodachrome colors, and the color photos definitely change my mental image of the 1930s. Thanks for posting the link!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent link. Interesting variability to the technical quality of the images, but the social content is what is important. I noticed the car photographed near the Golden Gate at Fort Cronkite. In another year that area would be closed to the public and would remain closed until the late 50s. The text mentions the attempts of the New Deal to improve the conditions for sharecroppers and braceros, but nothing much really happened until the late 60s.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is noteworthy that the first dedicated photo book with color illustrations printed from mostly Kodachrome slides, as well as the first technical textbook on color photography, were both published in Germany (K. P. Karfeld (ed.): Das farbige Leica-Buch, engl. version: The Leica book in color, with photographs by Anton Baumann, and H. A. Kluge: Foto in Farben, both 1938).

The dancers in Oklahoma appear to have been photographed on the very first generation of Kodachrome (1936 - 1938), which was processed using "controlled diffusion" and suffered from fading into purple. The improved version with selective post-exposure for reversal processing (to which the Austrian pioneer Dr. Karl Schinzel may have contributed) has remained stable. The grain is very fine, as I have noticed on scanning slides from 1959.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Karl. A history lesson with pictures that I might not have ever seen even if I had spent a lot of money on books.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Incredible. Many of those images look absolutely amazing. I just discovered slide film this year - before then, I simply thought it was used for slides. Some trouble getting the colors right while scanning has discouraged me, but I think I really need to learn how to get it right, and shoot some Kodachrome before it is too late.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks so much for posting those photos.

The scary part is the majority of those in the photos probably wouldn't recognize the country they helped to build due to the direction it's taken.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link Karl. Love the Kodachrome colors.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice. Thanks for the link. I notice some of these appeared on shorpy.com as well with a bit more saturation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To me the most amazing thing about Kodachrome is it was invented by two men Leopold Godowski, and Leopold Mannes, who were not scientists, or photo chemists, but professional classical musicians with an interest in photo chemistry since high school who before being sponsored by Kodak, did much of the R&D work in hotel bedrooms !
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-27-2008 at 07:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin