Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,053   Online: 900

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak has/had no relationship with Ferrania or 3M. They were competitors in many fields such as film and magnetic tape. Ferrania was sold or spun off by 3M several years ago. It may be an independant company or it may be part of another company, but its film making capability is not part of Kodak. This I know. Ferrania continues in Italy with government support as they were close to bankruptcy a few years ago (or the Italian equivalent). They continue to make color film for relabeling, but none for Kodak and they don't get any Kodak products.

Imation may be a purchase of Kodak as noted above, but the products shown are all digital.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Found some more tid bits . . .

Kodak Polychrome Graphics LLC
    http://www.macraesbluebook.com/searc...company=854441

Manufacturing Plant- Finance Manager Job - Kodak
    http://www.job.com/my.job/sup/appTo=28071989/p=1/jsOn=1
    http://www.simplyhired.com/job-id/hi...ng-plant-jobs/

Wikipedia has an input for both Imation and Kodak mfg plants . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weatherford,_Oklahoma

Kodak Polychrome Graphics
    2720 E Frontage Rd
    Weatherford, OK 73096
    Phone : (580) 772-5502
    Listed at ASKYP.com as Lithographic Negatives & Plates (Manufacturers)
    Platemaking & Related Services

http://www.kpgraphics.com/company/kpg_stats.html
    list KPG Weatherford Plant (USA) ISO 9002
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 2004 data in the last URL you cite list plants that are closed or no longer operating for a full range of products, merely more or less distribution centers. The overall text describes a company division that makes digital products for the most part. It was once a division of 3M apparently and spun off to stand alone only to be bought by EK. It produces digital printers and etc. Read the data there.

The film used, is probably produced in the plants at Colorado, Rochester or Chalon France. That is, if the Chalon plant is still in operation. The plant at Colorado was sold as part of the Kodak Health Sciences division to Onyx of Toronto Canada to form a new division to make X-Ray and other similar products. They still coat color paper under contract to Kodak.

So, whether this company in OK produces film themselves or not is murky to say the least. It certainly does have its roots in digital printers and in digital storage devices.

See here: http://www.nema.org/media/ind/20050405b.cfm ,
    here: http://graphics.kodak.com/US/consuma...lm/default.htm
    and here: http://graphics.kodak.com/US/HomePage/default.htm

to see that the bulk of the products are digital and there is a small film component there sandwiched in between. It was purchased by EK in 2005. The Imation web site is so heavily digital, it is not until you search the Kodak graphics subdivision that I was able to find film products (2 of them).

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Imation Corp - IMN Annual Report (exerpt);

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

"Table of Contents

expectations, there could be an immediate impact on the Company's stock price. The stock price may also be affected by broader market trends and world events unrelated to the Company's performance.

Sale of Medical Imaging Systems Business - As discussed in Note 3 to the Consolidated Financial Statements, on November 30, 1998, the Company sold substantially all of its worldwide Medical Imaging Systems business to Kodak. Excluded from this sale was the Ferrania Facility, at which certain x-ray and wet laser medical imaging products and photographic film were manufactured. As also discussed in Note 3 to the Consolidated Financial Statements, on August 2, 1999, the Company closed on the sale of its worldwide Photo Color Systems business, including the Ferrania Facility, to Ferrania Lux. The Kodak Asset Purchase Agreement obligated Kodak to pay to the Company up to $25 million under certain conditions upon the sale of the Ferrania Facility. Kodak has challenged the Company's claim for the full $25 million as well as claims for other amounts which the Company believes are due from Kodak in connection with the sale of the Medical Imaging Systems business. While the Company believes that the applicable contractual terms support its position, it cannot predict with certainty the outcome of these disputes."

Interesting...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When large multi-national corporations acquire other companies, they acquire assets that may have significantly different legal versus operational uses. So, they often publish a list of their property assets that they wish the public (and most of their employees) to see and that they utilize often. Then they have property assets that mostly their internal engineering or real estate management departments know about. Add to that the difference between the legal entities versus the operational entities, it doesn't surprise me there these assets with Kodak signage that no one, especially those writing in wiki, knows about or has any information about.

I know this because: I use to lead such a engineering / real estate department, I also did a project where I needed to perform the due diligence on property assets before a merger, I was part of a department that managed all the properties and had first hand knowledge that most employees did not, and now I implement technology solutions in companies to track and manage all their property assets in a single application - again to their engineering / RE departments. Every large corporation has an outlying or unusual property especially if they acquired other companies.

In most cases, where these properties don't fit their published organizational or operational model, they are usually in the process of selling them, leasing them, or are in a lease/tenant situation they cannot back out of - due to contracts already in place prior to the merger or acquisition. Example: Company A acquires Company B. Company B already had a lease/tenant agreement in place with Company C that is a competitor of Company A. Company A is obligated to honour the contract with Company C. Therefore you might have a situation where one company is the landlord and a competitor is their tenant. It happens more often than not.

Anyway, I'm not sure what people are trying to 'see' in this property. It's most likely a Kodak outlier.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 09-01-2008 at 05:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ferrania was aquired by 3M in 1964, then went further into the 3M spinoff Imation in 1996 and finally is on its own again since 1999. With premises in Weatherford up until today.

In 2001 Kodak Polychrome Grophics aquired from Imation their “full portfolio of color proofing, film, plate, and color software offerings, as well as Imation's Color Technologies manufacturing facility in Weatherford, Oklahoma.”

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AgX has the correct quote which is in one of the references I gave above. Indeed, 3M itself has exited the graphics art and medical imaging using analog products. Their two plants in Monroe county NY have closed and been gutted. Kodak did sell its medical imaging in its entirety to Onyx of Canada. So, IDK what you want to see in this either. That is why I have tried to stress the point that this is primarily a digital plant for graphics art materials.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE,

Thus as there has been a multilayer coating facility in Weatherford which I deduce from "Color Technologies manufacturing" and which has been confirmed by Kino, this has gone to scrap metal meanwhile?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I have a question that must be answered first. How dry is Weatherford?

You see, coating takes a lot of water and is not feasible in a dry environment, and so Kodak is near lakes or at least a LOT of water for each of its plants. So, if Weatherford is too dry, I doubt if much color was made there due to lack of water. OTOH, the premelts may have been brought in and coated there or the precoated film may have been slit, chopped and packed there.

Companies are very reluctant to give details. AFAIK, from friends in 3M, and this goes back over 10 years, the only color was done at 3M in Minn. and in Italy. B&W was done in Monroe county NY and Minn. That is all they admitted to. Building a new coating plant in the waning days of graphic arts would have been rather foolhardy IMHO. It was built when the Rochester 3M and Dupont graphic arts plants were closing. So, existing facilities could have taken the load and that is what friends with 3M told me at the time. Saving labor costs on film coating is also rather difficult as it takes highly trained people and not many of them, just a few. Same with emulsions.

So, the "economics" of the whole thing does not feel right coupled with what I know and what I have been told. I could be wrong, but I doubt if a modern color facility is now coating graphics arts materials at a largely digital facility.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would also like to add that I have not read Kino's reference. My security software advised me that the site tried to breach the security on my computer when I clicked on it, and I was blocked from viewing it. I advise others to be cautious. The URL reference in Kino's post is listed as a "dangerous" site by McAfee.

PE

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin