Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,730   Online: 1242

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I would also like to add that I have not read Kino's reference. My security software advised me that the site tried to breach the security on my computer when I clicked on it, and I was blocked from viewing it. I advise others to be cautious. The URL reference in Kino's post is listed as a "dangerous" site by McAfee.

PE
    For the brave, the info, which I got as cache, is...
    "...an excerpt from a 10-K SEC Filing, filed by IMATION CORP on 3/14/2003."

The material already posted by Kino, is pretty much all I found there...
    very wordy leaglese and not very informative.:

"the Ferrania Facility, at which certain x-ray and wet laser medical imaging products and photographic film were manufactured."

"on August 2, 1999,
    the Company closed on the sale of its worldwide Photo Color Systems business, including the Ferrania Facility, to Ferrania Lux.

The Kodak Asset Purchase Agreement obligated Kodak to pay to the Company up to $25 million under certain conditions upon the sale of the Ferrania Facility. Kodak has challenged the Company's claim for the full $25 million as well as claims for other amounts which the Company believes are due from Kodak in connection with the sale of the Medical Imaging Systems business"

So what is the relationship of Ferrania, Kodak and Imation to Ferrania Lux?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No relation between Kodak and Ferrania AFAIK.

Here is more: Imation and Sun Microsystems have formed a joint venture not to be confused by a joint venture between Kodak and Sun Chemical to purchase elements of Imation.

See quote below:

"1997 - Kodak sold the sales, marketing, and equipment service operations of its Office Imaging business and its facilities management business (formerly known as Kodak Imaging Services) to Danka Business Systems PLC. ♦ The company introduced four new GOLD Films (400, 200, and 100 speeds and Max 800 speed) that employed COLORSHARP Technology. ♦ By February, the company had recycled more than 100 million one-time-use cameras since the program began in 1990. ♦ The KODAK PICTURE NETWORK was announced, enabling people to view their photos, order reprints, and share their pictures with friends and family around the world via the Internet. ♦ In April, the company unveiled the KODAK DIGITAL SCIENCE DC120 Zoom Digital Camera, the first point-and-shoot megapixel quality digital camera under $1,000. ♦ Kodak and Sun Chemical Corporation agreed to form a joint venture, Kodak Polychrome Graphics, to supply the graphic arts market with sensitized products as well as computer-to-plate and other digital solutions. ♦ An advanced Kodak image sensor allowed NASA's Mars Rover to "see" as it moved about to explore that planet's surface"

Note the last portion just above here.... found here.... http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/koda...990_1999.shtml

The whole thing is very complex and wrapped in company secrecy as is the case in many of these things.

Yes, Ferrania had a facility in OK, but I repeat that the extent of use was limited to productivity of the product line and the ability to get good help and lots of water.

An average employee costs any company 2x their base pay and the company has to recover at least 3x base pay of all employees + raw materials just to break even in many cases, and the plant has to run for about 2000 hours / year minimum to produce a profit.

Just some economics to consider.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wet behind the ears...

How dry is Weatherford?

You see, coating takes a lot of water and is not feasible in a dry environment, and so Kodak is near lakes or at least a LOT of water for each of its plants... I repeat that the extent of use was limited to... the ability to get... lots of water.
    PE
    Ron,

Could you expand upon this?

Are you talking about RH, or lakes and rivers?

How is the water being used?

Is it actually being used in the COATING process or in other related steps, such as the emulsion itself, or air filtration, controlled drying etc.

???

TIA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No relation between Kodak and Ferrania AFAIK.PE
    If so, can you think of any reason Kodak would be obligated to pay for the sale of the Ferrania Facility. ?

"The Kodak Asset Purchase Agreement obligated Kodak to pay to the Company up to $25 million under certain conditions upon the sale of the Ferrania Facility."

Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lakes and rivers and humidity Ray, the whole thing.

Water is used making emulsions, making coatings and the humidity is important to static electricity problems and therefore to air conditioning which relies on more water.

To make 1000 L of emulsion, you need 1000 L of water (about) plus jacket water for the kettle and about 10,000 L of water for washing the emulsion and cleanup of equipment. You need tempering for all of this water as it has to be at least 40C for the hot and 4C for the cold.

To coat it, you need a huge chilling and heating system for chill set and dry, and a big humidity control system. This uses loads of water.

You also need a water driven decontamination system to remove chemicals from the effluent of the coating and making operation and from the dryer exhaust.

As I've said before, making and coating is not a simple operation.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Sun Chemical agreement apparently had some obligations attached. You see that if you look up the original. Also included in this was purchase of Memorex and also, some of this stretched over nearly 5 years as the acqusition progressed. It was not done in one step.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE,
    Your hint at the waterconsumption is very intersting.
    I like to add that the quotation I gave in post 16 was found at the imation site (the link is dead meanwhile).

But I want to add to your doubts that from experience I can say that one can't be sure what's going on in the photochemical industry behind closed doors until oneself has gone through them...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a pointless exercise; PE, Weatherford sits on the Olagalla aquifer, a huge ice-age aquifer under the Oklahoma, Kansas plains, quoted in this APUG thread on distilled water:

http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...50771-p-2.html

It is near pure straight out of the ground and WAS plentiful until manufacturing and irrigation has depleted it severely.

Ferannia DID once coat film, color film, in this facility for at least 10 years, maybe 20 -- what is happening there now is anyone's guess.
    Last edited by Kino; 09-01-2008 at 01:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is pointless. I think that was pointed out by several people.

Ferrania did once coat film there and found it to be untenable despite the water supply. That should be a significant factor in this, as well as the fact that Kodak and Ferrania have been and are direct competitors in the analog field.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    .hmmmm.. if that is the case Kodak must be trucking the water in from the great lakes... eastern Colorados average humidity is 5-20% and gets at the most 10in. of rain a year w/310 days of sunshine a year.
    The water in this part of the state is reclaimed water. this means everytime you flush the toilet, that water had been used at least 7 times before.
    Denver CO has one of the most advanced sewage treatment plants in the country. Oklahoma has 3 times the rain and double the humidity of east Colorado [just east of the Rockies].
    In addition 'we' [our lab] need to have humidifiers running continually. it is very-very dry in this part of the country... very dry!

dw

Well, I have a question that must be answered first. How dry is Weatherford?

You see, coating takes a lot of water and is not feasible in a dry environment, and so Kodak is near lakes or at least a LOT of water for each of its plants. So, if Weatherford is too dry, I doubt if much color was made there due to lack of water. OTOH, the premelts may have been brought in and coated there or the precoated film may have been slit, chopped and packed there.

PE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin