Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,476   Online: 1093

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I worked in the Weatherford plant back in the early-mid 1980's. It was a 3M plant then. There were two plants on that site. The one I worked in cut and packed Color-Key. Color-Key is / was used in color printing - as in newspapers and magazines. It had nothing to do with film. They may or may not have coated the product there...I simply do not remember. Nor do I remember what they did in the other plant - may have been film - IDK. I also worked in the Camarillo, CA plant. There was definitely a coater in Camarillo...but they coated magnetic media - tape and data cart's.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Kodak and imation are still both coating film!

Hello all,

I am a current employee at the imation facility in Weatherford, OK. I am a maintenance technician in the thin film coating area where we produce film for LTO 1-5 cartridges for multiple customers as well as T10,000 cartridges for Sun Microsystems. As far as Kodak is concerned they are still producing specialty films in their coating facility.

The physical location of Kodak is a large building closest to I-40 when viewed by google earth. It used to share the building with Ferrania before they closed up shop here and consolidated back to Italy. Currently Kodak only takes up the west half of the front building. Imation takes the back building of the premises. Both large buildings and the numerous out-buildings all comprised the 3M site until 1996 when the entire site was spun off to imation. Once imation had it all it was then broken up and sold off to kodak for coating in the front (North) building with Ferrania doing pre-packaged one use cameras in a portion of that front building. Imation remained in the back (South) building.

Hope this information helps all who were interesting in finding out what is going on in Weatherford.

-Ben

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Ben,

Thanks for your detailed information.
    Though the kind of film coating we here typically get upset by is silver-halide film coating. Is that what you're referring to with Kodak?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LTO 1-5 is apparently a magnetic tape.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    LTO 1-5 is apparently a magnetic tape.

PE
    Yes. They coat magnetic media.
    Last edited by BradS; 08-11-2009 at 09:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, Brad,

You are enigmatic. You mean Kodak is coating there magnetic film as Imation does?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, I didn't say that. I said that LTO 1-5 is a magnetic tape. If Kodak is using any of the cartridges made there for LTO 1-5 then it is magnetic tape. They used to make magnetic tape at the solvent coating facility in Kodak Park, but I thought that they stopped making it. IDK what the OK plants makes.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    How wonderful. I'm glad to hear it. Must be a new regional center as well, but please note that this is primarily a digital conversion and storage company (Imation).

PE
    FujiFilm is also a big player in the magnetic tape market. The largest application I know of for this is media backup for computer systems (e.g. database servers).
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak has switched to making high capacity DVDs with great permanance. Their recordings are apparently very stable and less subject to degradation. They are gaining a reputation here (or were) as suppliers of high quality backup media and RW "hard" drives. IDK if they are still in the business.

PE

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Kodak in Weatherford

Hello all,

The Kodak site in Weatherford was not in the business of producing film for cameras. That site produces specialty films for the medical imaging industry and other specialty films that I don't have further details on.

Forgive me for not explaining further about Imation. We produce data cartridges used for data storage purposes.

Take care everyone.

-BenOK

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin