Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,245   Online: 733

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Kris, I think you would probably be OK with the discounted kit, as I have used kits over a 2.5 to 3 year period (I don't run control strips or the like, but the results look good to my eye).

On the economy side, all of the comparisons above are talking about the per-roll costs. The nice thing about doing 4x5 sheet film, is that four sheets are equivalent to one roll. I have used the Kodak and Tetanal 5l 6-bath kits, which are both about equivalent in price in the UK, and the first litre used to process sheet film pays for the kit (compared to comercial processing).

I would pay around the equivalent of $6+ per sheet in the UK (including postage both ways), and the kit costs me around $100 (including transport). At the Kodak recommended usage volumes, I can process 16 sheets per litre, which would cost around $96 dollars to process commercially. So once I have done that, the remaining four litres are essentially free. One of the delights of processing your own large format, it can subsidise your other formats.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kristopher_lawrence View Post
    I found a single-use chemistry Kit at my local shop. However, it is outdated and is not available in their system....

It is dated march 2008. The manager offered me at least a 50% disount on it. Does I am looking for trouble or it should be allright?
    I don't think anybody can make any promises; however, the kit is probably still OK. It might not last for as long as a kit that's still months from expiration, but if the original price is close to the price you can get elsewhere (such as $50 for a 5-liter Kodak kit from Adorama), I personally would go for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kristopher_lawrence View Post
    I found a single-use chemistry Kit at my local shop. However, it is outdated and is not available in their system....

It is dated march 2008. The manager offered me at least a 50% disount on it. Does I am looking for trouble or it should be allright?

Kris
    What will he do with the kit if you don't buy it? I suspect Kodak will not accept a return if he is not ordering a replacement. Try offering 25% of the original sticker price. Worst that can happen is he says no.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin