Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,904   Online: 1065

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If you buy the film, shoot it and process it, both Kodak and Dwaynes will be delighted and production will be adjusted accordingly. You see?

PE
    Yes, actually I do see.

In fact, I tried that very approach with a number of other Kodak products as well. And I came to realize that it all depends on who is defining the entity "you." (Hint: It wasn't me...)

Ken

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Why bring back the old K25? If Kodak were to hypothetically bring it back, I'd want an ASA 50 2-electron sensitized version of K25. And then they can upgrade the 64 version to ASA 125 while they're at it. I'd shoot a lot more Kodachrome if they did that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oooh. And 200 would be 400, giving us the 400 which never really propagated itself in the market.

One can hopelessly dream. I love this stuff. Shame my dad forbade me from using his Minolta or from coaxing me into photography when I really wanted to get started. He shot with Kodachrome (he amassed rings upon rings of slide shows, none of which I've seen since probably about 1987), and I know I would have shot with Kodachrome as well had he explained to me what it was (and he well could have, given that his B.S. degree was in chemistry).

I'm just gobsmacked at how it was 2008 before I picked up my first roll. In the late 1990s, when I started shooting on my own, the camera shop where I used to buy my film nudged me away from Kodachrome (never really explaining how it differed qualitatively or by showing comparative examples, but saying that processing and cost could be slower and costlier, respectively) and towards the E-6 chromes of Fuji and Kodak (mostly starting with Sensia and working into the Multispeeds and Provias). In other words, my first era of being a photog was steered away from Kodachrome because I didn't know what made it special and no one bothered showing the difference.

The irony in my dad 86'ing me from using photography equipment under most cases is that I shot perhaps some of the best images taken of his second wedding a few years ago. Oh well. Better late than never.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why should Kodak bring back Kodachrome 25? Because there is no replacement. Some of the new E-6 super-fine grain film probably come close replacing K64, but there is no E-6 equivalent of K25. While there have been a steady supply of new B&W slow speed emulsions to surface, Efke 25, Rollei Pan 25, Adox 20 and 25, etc and etc, there is nothing the color shooter can use to replace K25 except possibly a 20mp plus digital sensor.

Of all the films to bite the dust I was the most unhappy with the demise of K25 and wish most for the return of K25 or a modern replacement.
    P. Lynn Miller
    Sydney, Australia

Photo of the day... week... whatever...

And I have one of those Flickr thingy's...

Shooter
    35mm
    PE - Thanks for that comprehensive reply. I guess that we have to just hold our breath that the world's requirements of K64 don't fall below one-coating-per-year. And I'd also suppose that some of Dwaynes' throughput is from the stock of film in the system, from which Kodak has already received the sales income....as a keen photographer, I probably have enough Kodachrome in my freezer to last my own needs for a couple of years, even if I bought no more in the meantime.

Realistically, we are very unlikely to see a revival of any old or new types of Kodachrome, so I suppose we enjoy just it while we can. Guess it's not the biggest worry in the World right now.

A special 75th Anniv packing of K64 could be the best we might hope for. Certainly the packs sold in the UK at present are very simple...plain box, prepaid mailer and film, no instructions leaflet or data on the inside of the box. Really no incentive for anyone unfamiliar with the film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd be overjoyed if they'd just give me K64 in 120!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since present day Kodachrome uses 1970s - 1980s technology, if they were to redesign it today, a 100 speed film would look more like K25 than anything else. However, it would take about 5 years R&D work and millions. The product line will not support that, as it is barely returning costs as it is now.

If it falls below cost, as I noted in my other post, then it will be GWTW.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the anniversary Kodak could run a promotion offering a small rebate on a purchase of a few rolls. That would be a nice gesture, and it might help sell more film.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Its only £6.50 a roll at 7dayshop. I'm going to do my bit by ordering a pile

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding View Post
    I'd be overjoyed if they'd just give me K64 in 120!
    Ron is probably the only one that would know how to process it today...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin