Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,591   Online: 1019

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffHill View Post
    Its only £6.50 a roll at 7dayshop. I'm going to do my bit by ordering a pile

B***dy H**L, Boots are charging over £12!

Hmmm, Website, Credit card, Film, Upset bank manager
    Last edited by Aurum; 09-03-2008 at 02:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Had a look at 7 day shop
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    35mm
    ^^^Aurum.

£12.49 at Boots last week. But 3 for 2 offer on film, so I got effectively got three for £8.33 each. Taking off the VAT (which 7-day Shop doesn't charge from Guernsey) gives £7.09, which is not too far from 7-day price.

But that's just playing with figures....mail order certainly pays if you need more than two or three films.

It did occur to me that buying at Boots shows them there is still a demand....and I got a voucher for 20 free d*****l prints :rolleyes: and a free sample of shaving foam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    ...and I got a voucher for 20 free d*****l prints :rolleyes: and a free sample of shaving foam.
    Well, with Kodachrome 64 allegedly having one of the highest resolutions in 35 mm color film, the shaving foam might come in handy for your next self portrait, if you don't want the subsequent drum or Imacon scan to reveal every last bit of body hair and make you look like some sort of tramp.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
    B***dy H**L, Boots are charging over £12!

Hmmm, Website, Credit card, Film, Upset bank manager
    7ds also want £5 for postage. its only cheaper than boots for 6 films or more.

I wait and order 20 films at a time from them, and chuck them in the fridge

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dropped off a roll for processing yesterday, and picked up 3 that had come back. One of the ones that came back was my last roll of processing included K64.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If you buy the film, shoot it and process it, both Kodak and Dwaynes will be delighted and production will be adjusted accordingly.
    PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been thinking about getting some Kodachrome, just so I can experience it before it's too late, and got round to it last night. For UK readers, Photoglossy (another channel islands merchant) is selling it at 6.85GBP or 6.65 for 5 or more, and doesn't charge extra for postage, so is cheaper for smaller orders. I can also tell you from experience that Photoglossy's customer service is several orders of magnitude above 7DS's (which to be frank from my experience isn't exactly difficult)!

As has been alluded to by PE, stuffing a freezer full of film is not going to help the manufacturer in the long run, they need steady predictable orders, even more so with Kodachrome where the axe man's nod hangs on the last 12 months sales. Probably not a good idea to stockpile too much Kodachrome anyway as when it does go, and Dwaynes stop processing, you may well end up with a freezer full of useless film.
    Use it or lose it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At the current exchange rate that is over $12 US / roll. WOW!

Anyhow, the guys with freezers full of 120 Kodachrome can attest to the problems inherent in stockpiling.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    If you think that's bad, our petrol in the UK is about £1.30 per litre, which equates to about $10.60 per gallon.

And, looking at comments in other threads, if you think your Presidents are bad, you can have our b****** of a Prime Minister anytime you like!

Sorry, winge over, the last person to leave the UK will switch off the light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hahaha "last person to leave" line reminds me of the Seattle bumper stickers of the mid-1970s I saw in a b-movie filmed in the region. That was pre-Microsoft, and when Boeing and lumber and shipping were all in bad shape.

Incidentally, I bought my first rolls of K64 120 this year from a local guy on The Auction Website. The only reason my rolls sit in the freezer? It's because of hope -- hope that a short run of processing dip-and-dunk Kodachrome will spring up again. Should someone name the place, time, and cost for processing, those rolls will be thawed on that very day and shot during the next 48-72 hours.

It wasn't a costly gamble -- maybe $2 for three rolls, and I picked it up myself, saving on post.

As far as availability, this feedback-loops why sales dwindle. The fewer places people can go to buy it, the fewer people will know it's even still available. The fewer people who know it's available, the more people will come of age either never knowing the stuff never existed (or why it's distinctive) or not knowing it's still around.

A little bit of smart marketing -- guerrilla marketing can be staggeringly cheap -- can't hurt, which is why I think PKM-25's project has some promise. I've been contemplating a Kodachrome site as well to use as a knowledge resource, giving people an idea of what the film is, how it differs, and why it's recommended even now in a digital age and with film emulsions of much newer technological advancements pervasive on the market. If I had had that education a decade ago, I've have begun shooting with Kodachrome then -- rather than be steered away from it by the film sales counter at the local pro shop.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by accozzaglia View Post
    If I had had that education a decade ago, I've have begun shooting with Kodachrome then -- rather than be steered away from it by the film sales counter at the local pro shop.
    My late Father used Kodachrome through the 60's to 80's, and I myself used it for quite some years when I first became interested in colour. For some reason (adverts and photo-mags, maybe) I was then seduced into using various makes of E-6 films, but have now, in the last year or so, rediscovered the pleasures of using Kodachrome.

I'm just hoping that it will be available for long enough for me to be able to get some pictures which do justice to its qualities.

(I was thinking earlier today that, if all other colour films ceased production, I could be quite happy with just Kodachrome for my serious photography, and a d*****l camera for the quick prints of the family. )

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin