Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,947   Online: 968

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wonderful Kodachrome image

Hi all,

Now with a few recent threads dedicated to Kodachrome, after some searches on the internet using Google, I came upon the Wikipedia page that shows a really nice old 1949 London street scene shot on Kodachrome with all of it's wonderful colours still intact (as expected of course from Kodachrome! ).

The image is by Chalmers Butterfield.

Thought I would share it here as well for those like me who hadn't seen it before. You can find the original Wikipedia page here, including the possibility to download a not-to-good full sized 10Mpixel scan (Kodachrome not to blame, but the scanner operator...):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodachrome

Marco

My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    IIRC that was in the mainstream press quite recently, printed back to back with a photograph taken in the same spot nearly 60 years on
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharbat_Gula

This also done on Kodachrome is one of my all time great pictures

"Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
    IIRC that was in the mainstream press quite recently, printed back to back with a photograph taken in the same spot nearly 60 years on
    Would like to see the image 60 years on, if you can find an internet source for that...

Well, of course, the Afghan girl is the color photographies "Mona Lisa"... everyone knows it, the London image I think does not (yet) have that status (but maybe it's my own ignorance )
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those are awesome photographs. I wish Kodak still make Kodachrome.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Would like to see the image 60 years on, if you can find an internet source for that...

Well, of course, the Afghan girl is the color photographies "Mona Lisa"... everyone knows it, the London image I think does not (yet) have that status (but maybe it's my own ignorance )
    Wikipedia to the rescue

I'll see if I can trawl the proper online article

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Those are awesome photographs. I wish Kodak still make Kodachrome.

Jeff
    I bought a Roll of Kodachrome 64 last week in a high street retailer in the UK.

Its still for sale in 35mm format, unfortunately 120 format and bigger is long dead

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
    Wikipedia to the rescue

I'll see if I can trawl the proper online article
    Aaah, that's nice! Thanks for looking it up... Shame on TDK and Sanyo by the way for ruining that corner!
    My website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The cool thing is Kodachrome still looks this good, you just have to keep an eye out for really good light.

One day we will looking back on it and it will be nowhere to be found. So why not load a Leica, Xpan or Nikon with it now and make your own masterpiece?

Shoot it folks, it is still better than anything out there for the look it gives.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Kodachrome 4x5s from WWII:

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin