Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,360   Online: 1190

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

E-6 Film like Kodachrome?

I use Velvia, and I like it...but Velvia is most definitely not accurate...I only need to look at a white persons skin tone in Velvia to notice that.

So...Are there any E-6 emulsions like Kodachrome, at all? I don't know what to ask for, because Kodachrome is so unique. Basically, a color slide film for street photography? I don't know.

Why do I ask this? Again, I'm not quite sure. I guess I just want to have film that I can always get processed, vs. the people who have 120 or sheet-film Kodachrome in their freezers...I also realize that Kodachrome is incredibly costly for Kodak to make, and I just don't see it lasting for my lifetime.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Everybody will give you their best take on what might work best for street photography. I've had pretty good examples using Provia 100F (RDPIII), but even something like Sensia has worked for spontaneous shots I made about a decade ago when I was just getting started. Maybe try a roll of each (and others) and compare?

That said, Kodachrome remains so much fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What can I say? I don't have an answer for you based on personal experience, but from the look of it, Fuji's Astia should be a good choice. At least Fuji claims, "smooth and natural skin tone reproduction from the highlights to the shadows".

If things Kodak float your boat, there's E200 where Kodak claims, "natural-looking skin tones". E100G, or E100GX if you like things a little warmer, look like they might work for you too. Stay away from E100VS, with it's extra saturated colors, if you don't like Velvia for skin tones.

But what the heck. If you like the look of Kodachrome, then use it while you can. Worry about a replacement when it's gone. A little here, a little there; who knows? It might just keep the production line going a little longer.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    There's no 120 Kodachrome, either, and I want to move to MF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have heard, but not tried, that EPP 100 is the most similar "normal" film to Kodachrome, it being a less saturated older emulsion, like Kodachrome. I have also heard that, if you can get the exposure right, EDUPE duplicating film is the closest you can get. Be aware that I haven't tried either, as KR64 suits me fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    First velvia is the least accurate film ever produced. It's supposed to be that way. When fuji "fixed" it with velvia 100f everyone hated it. It's not a portrait film. Try provia.

Kodachrome is unique in it's structure and color palette and as such there is no emulator for it. That's the truth. You'll just have to find a different film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you are concerned with skin tones - have you considered Kodak's Portra?

Although if you're unsatisfied with Velvia and seeking a K-chrome alternative - it seems you want to shoot slides for people shots.

Why?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been thinking about this too. For 35mm, I'm going to continue shooting Kodachrome as long as I can. I just got three rolls back today after shooting nothing but B&W for several months and I fell in love with KR64 once again.

I would like to find something that I can use when it's gone. And I want a good slide film for medium format, just like the OP. I didn't care for Provia 100F much, it was too cool for my taste; maybe accurate, but nothing like Kodachrome. Perhaps Astia is different. Maybe the non-saturated Ektachromes will be good. I have only tried E100VS and while it was sharp and fine-grained, it looks as surreal as Velvia. Maybe different speeds will be different; Provia 400, Velvia 100, etc. Is Velvia 100 any different than 50? I like RVP, but it isn't a good general use film. Is the 100 version any better for skin?

I would love to find a good E6 substitute for MF, but for 35mm I will shoot Kodachrome as long as it is possible for me to purchase it and get it processed. There is no equal and there never will be.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodachrome for me has a unique look and I'm not sure that there is an equivalent E-6.
    That said for most stuff I find I like Fuji Astia, if colour accuracy and nice skin is your goal.
    Here is a snap:

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd have to second Astia. Used to shoot K64 and K25 back in the 70s and 80s. For a number of off topic reasons, I didn't do much film in the 90s and early 00s.

Now back in full force and have been using Astia with great success as a chrome sub. Velvia is different, and has its place of course. But Astia gives me the nearest results to K64. And Fuji has been improving and changing it, it's even easier to scan nowadays, if that is your cuppa.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin