Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,679   Posts: 1,482,183   Online: 1052

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

WWI Colour photographs

Here is a link to some interesting color photos from WWI. Not something I am used to seeing in color.
    http://www.worldwaronecolorphotos.com/index.html

enjoy.
    "Printing has more to do with determination than magic"
    -Charles Harbutt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lumiere Autochromes are often beautiful images, and the colours are remarkable. It's worth trying to see some original prints. The company still exists although it's just the Sales & Marketing company for Ilford in France now.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those of you in the UK you can see a fascinating story of how these images were shot. Most of them by Albert Kahn and his team.
    a link:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dj1xn/
    Mark

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    For those who like the technical aspects of early color photography AND for those who simply enjoy wonderful photographs, I highly recommend you view the Prokudin-Gorskii collection seen online at the Library of Congress:

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/

This man was sent all over Russia by the Czar to photograph the country, and he used a special camera which recorded three separate images simultaneously, each with a different color filter. Making accurate prints from the resulting negatives was always very difficult because of registration problems, but the advent of digital images made the job much easier. It's stunning to see in color what we're used to seeing in black and white.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trask it may interest you that i blogged about Prokudin-Gorskii and demonstrate a modern method of achieving colour from B&W negs using the Trichrome process.
    http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/200...2_archive.html
    Here is a photo using that process

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...9&ppuser=19618

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Antony View Post
    For those of you in the UK you can see a fascinating story of how these images were shot. Most of them by Albert Kahn and his team.
    a link:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dj1xn/
    Mark

BBC 4 have been running the series about Albert Kahn, on repeat for some time. Its worth watching if you get the chance. I'm not sure if it has been distributed on BBC world or similar into the US
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Mark:

This process seems to be similar to producing a color key or positives to burn plates for a 4 color printing operation.

The pictures of the "Ark"-looking boat and those in Russia were extremely interesting as , to my eyes anyway, they appear to have a similarity to Kodachrome color, more so than other processes I've seen and certainly better than Ektachrome. (BTW, what is a freakin' boat doing in a cow pasture?) While the three primaries are there, the black overlay is lacking - the fourth color of the separation. Something else for me to play with when I get time.

Perhaps Kodachrome will live forever, albeit in the electronics of a PC.
    Last edited by Frank Szabo; 09-15-2008 at 10:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 'Ark' is a bait diggers base off the UK North Norfolk coast (Blakeney) the colours are quite accurate as this is at dawn and the grassy area was frozen (was taken last Christmas).
    You could do this with CMYK as well if you need a black key layer, but RGB filers are easier to come by. here is the bait digger shot:

also a shot I accidentally posted in the gallery

I'm doing an autumn series soon....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I do like the effect, the picture of the boat especially looks at one glance like a normal colour photograph, and at the second slightly unreal, even though there is nothing to suggest otherwise (All the images are in perfect register)
    You just can't quite put your finger on whats going on
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    4x5 Format

ww-1 photos

Great post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin