Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,269   Online: 1045

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzingoose View Post
    These are scanned 8x10s and the only adjustments are to match the print as close as possible. I've been working with ECN films (Kodak and Fuji) and come up with two different processes. One for high contrast and one for low contrast. The high contrast process uses the standard C-41 process at a slightly reduced temperature and standard times, and the low contrast process uses RA4 at normal temperature and a three minute develop time. Extended RA4 developing time will likely increase contrast, but I have not tried it yet. I have used: Fuji 8563 250iso daylight, Fuji 8592 500iso daylight, Fuji 8522 64isodaylight and Kodak 5201 64iso daylight. ...

Unfortunately, your examples seem to demonstrate the problems. The lower contrast examples really lack contrast and color, and the colors are off a bit. The high contrast examples are very high contrast, bluish, and seem to have poor color tracking. But I agree with your last comment - experiment!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Emulsion View Post
    Cruzingoose those are great results! Congratulations.

You mentioned that the C-41 was at a slightly lower temperature. What did you find worked best?

Did you use a Tetanal or other kit? How many baths did you use?

Thanks from,
    Emulsion
    I use Kodak Flexicolor. The mix is in an earilier post.

Shooter
    Medium Format

ECN Color

Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    Unfortunately, your examples seem to demonstrate the problems. The lower contrast examples really lack contrast and color, and the colors are off a bit. The high contrast examples are very high contrast, bluish, and seem to have poor color tracking. But I agree with your last comment - experiment!
    I never said the process is perfect I like to experiment and with 1000' of assorted movie films to play with and plenty of chems its fun to play. The lower temp/longer develop time in C-41 and the RA4 developer methods are still a work in progress. There are times where these effects may be desirable, especially the ultra high iso speeds I am able to get for night shots. I'll eventually come up with better results, but I like what I see so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like the effect on #2 & #5. I have tried some ideas that are floating around to use highly diluted C41 developer and stand or semi-stand development at room temp but the results have been terrible so far. I was hoping to make the chemicals use/misuse more economical this way.
    Turning negative into positive since 1975

Shooter
    Medium Format

Thread hijack... Cheap chem thrills.

Quote Originally Posted by bdilgard View Post
    I really like the effect on #2 & #5. I have tried some ideas that are floating around to use highly diluted C41 developer and stand or semi-stand development at room temp but the results have been terrible so far. I was hoping to make the chemicals use/misuse more economical this way.
    Feel free to move this to the appropiate location.

The least expensive chemical source is a minilab kit. A typical 10 liter kit is less than $30. Here is a breakdown of a few..... All processing is standard time and temperature for each minilab process. All are tested and proven.

Champion RA4 Developer
    Water - 905ml
    Part A - 25ml
    Part B - 20ml
    Part C - 50ml

Russel Neocolor C-41 Developer
    Water - 912ml
    Part A - 68ml
    Part B - 8ml
    Part C - 12ml

Champion RA4 Blix

Water - 660 ml
    Part A - 150 ml
    Part B - 190ml

Kodak RA4 Developer

Water - 900ml
    Part A- 40ml
    Part B- 20ml
    Part C- 40ml

Fuji Hunt C-41

Water 950ml
    Part A 57ml
    Part B 14ml
    Part C 14ml

Russell RAP-4 (RA4)

Water 900ml
    Part A 50ml
    Part B 20ml
    Part C 50ml

Kodak RA4 Blix

Water 750ml
    Part A 100ml
    Part B 150ml

Kodak Flexicolor C-41

Water 900ml
    Part A 75ml
    Part B 12.5ml (OK to round up )
    Part C 11.7ml (OK to round up)

AGFA Filmbox #2 RA4 Blix

Mix each component with 3 parts water.
    Makes 10 liters of fix, bleach, stabilizer.

Champion C-41 Developer

Water 900ml
    Part A 77ml
    Part B 9ml
    Part C 11ml

Champion VR RA4 Developer

Water 850ml
    Single Part Concentrate 150ml

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    All this talk about cross-processing has set me thinking.

1) RA4 developer uses CD3. (CAS# 25646-71-3)

2) CD3 is the correct developer for ECN2 (motion picture negative).

Question: Are there any pH, concentration or other issues with RA4 that make its use with ECN2 a problem?

Emulsion.

PS: The ready availability of RA4 chemistry could make processing ECN2 easier. Even if one part of the RA4 kit needs to be replaced with a "custom" formula it would be worthwhile. CD3 is often hard to source and very expensive internationally. RA4 kits are common though.
    Last edited by Emulsion; 06-05-2009 at 09:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ECN process is optimized for a Br/I emulsion and the RA4 process is optimized for a Cl/Br emulsion (actually nearly a pure Cl). You go figure.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The ECN process is optimized for a Br/I emulsion and the RA4 process is optimized for a Cl/Br emulsion (actually nearly a pure Cl). You go figure.
    PE
    Thanks PE. I appreciate your help.

Is there any way to add another ingredient to make it more suitable for Br/I?

Thanks From,
    Emulsion.

PS: For those who aren't aware, there is a strong incentive to use ECN2 films as they are available VERY cheaply. Eg 10c/foot. AND they use the latest in Kodak/Fuji film technology . They do have different contrast and also Remjet backing however these issues IMHO are outweighed by the price and technology advantages.
    Last edited by Emulsion; 06-06-2009 at 03:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I could make a wild guess, but due to the difference in CD4 and CD3 activity, my chances of being right are pretty slim. I'll think about it. Jog my memory in a few months.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I could make a wild guess, but due to the difference in CD4 and CD3 activity, my chances of being right are pretty slim. I'll think about it. Jog my memory in a few months.

PE
    Jog!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin