Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,125   Online: 924

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rem-Jet

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rem-Jet

I know about the structure, property and function of the rem-jet layer.

But what is the meaning/origin of that designation?

Up to now I could not find an explanation, neither on my bookshelves nor on the net.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe I'm wrong but from what I remember the term, Rem Jet, refers to the intense spray of water in the processing system that removes the layer. A Jet of water, that Removes the layer.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul,

After posting I got that idea that `rem´ could be related to `remove´, but still had no idea about that `jet´ part.
    I guess I still would not designate that layer this way, but your explanation makes sense at least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I heard once that "Jet" referred to the "Jet Black" carbon that was used in preparing the backing. IDK if it was true or not.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    removable Jet Black layer...

Makes sense too.

That `remove´ part would definitely make sense as other layers of that function are just decoloured in one way or another .

Funny though that this designation seems a bit mysterious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a few rolls of exposed Kodak 5247 (rem jet movie film) loaded in 35mm cannisters I shot, but never processed since 1980. (yes, 28 years old!!)

Anyone know where this stuff can get processed now? I think it is still C41 but that backing will come off and gum up regular processors.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    I have a few rolls of exposed Kodak 5247 (rem jet movie film) loaded in 35mm cannisters I shot, but never processed since 1980. (yes, 28 years old!!)

Anyone know where this stuff can get processed now? I think it is still C41 but that backing will come off and gum up regular processors.
    It's not C-41, it's ECN-2. If you can get the Rem Jet off, you can process it C41, but it will look cross processed. Latent images on MP film that old will likely be gone towards blue and have developed some grain, so I'd stick to normal. The best lab I have experience with is Ford in Seattle. They were bought out by AphaCine, and now the techs are there. I had my last ECN project (Sept.) processed by them, and all was well.

Here is their website:

http://www.alphacine.com/
    Last edited by JBrunner; 10-19-2008 at 05:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post

There was an ECN process in the 60s that I have the formulas for, but it was changed for the more recent flavors. IDK when the changeover took place.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    The best lab I have experience with is Ford in Seattle. They were bought out by AphaCine, and now the techs are there. I had my last ECN project (Sept.) processed by them, and all was well.

Here is their website:

http://www.alphacine.com/

Thank you Jason,

I'll see if they will still do it....and if they do.....I'll have 'em do it.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe a dumb question, but are there any c-41 movie films? Or films that can be run through c-41 (i.e. no rem_jet backing)? I have been curious about this for awhile.

Patrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin