Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,205   Online: 869

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm

Still no Max 800

Still no Max 800 availability, other than in single use cameras. I wasn't planning to use Max 800, but there aren't that many 800 speed films left. Anyone know the real story about Max 800? It's been a year or two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    I only use 800 speed films for pushing 2 stops to 3200 when I get really bored in the color darkroom. I don't care at all. That film has to have just about zero professional use.
    i work for a bunch of pro's here in L.A. who use portra 800 in 120 religiously... they like it because of its availability in 120, and of its neutral color palette.

and the grain is very fine too, especially compared to MAX 800. i prefer to take a 400 and push +1, but in a pinch, the portra 800 is a VERY nice film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tough to see another option off the charts.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Portra 800 and the Fuji 800 films are so much better, the only reason I can think of for using MAX 800 is when you want extra grain.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    Portra 800 and the Fuji 800 films are so much better, the only reason I can think of for using MAX 800 is when you want extra grain.
    Right; I haven't used it since 2004 except for two rolls of GT-2 last year that I got off of ebay that were part of a larger bag of film. Rated at 320, they worked well. Grainy as heck, but the effect was cool.

Shooter
    35mm
    In CVS today, I looked at what film they had.

CVS 200 and 400 speed (that's Fuji).
    Tri-X and BWCN 400 (almost $6 per roll)
    Gold 200 and Max 400 and 800.

I wasn't expecting to see Max 800. I looked at the dates. The Max 800 was dated 01/2010. That's short-dated. Other Gold films had later dates, ranging from late 2010 to early 2012.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, I find it nearly impossible for it to go so soon. It is what powers all of the Kodak disposable cameras. I am however, not suprised at B&H. They haven't had Elite Chrome 200 for months and Freestyle has gone out of stock a few times and had it back in stock within a couple of days.....B&Wpositive- I know the price is rather high but I have lucked out a couple of times in a hurry buying Tri-X at CVS. What was really really great was when they sold Elite Chrome! It was expensive at $9.99 but when I wanted it in a hurry it worked.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used Max 800 some time ago, I was quite disappointed in it. In this case, I'm glad they dropped it.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That is the worst object of any kind that I have used to capture light. I've hand-coated cyanotypes shot in-camera that were immeasurably better than that film. There is no point in printing expiration dates on the box because that film kept so poorly that it was "expired" before it arrived in stores.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good riddance. Try Fuji Superia Press 800; one of the most amazing films on the market. It is my most-used color film by far. I get it in press packages, so the emulsions are matching and I get 36 shots per roll. Ends up being a little over three bucks a roll.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin