Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,736   Posts: 1,670,404   Online: 748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak MAX 800 gone from B&H

Whoops...should have posted in product availability.

I noticed that MAX 800 is missing from the B&H website.

I emailed them, and they replied that Portra 800 is the only Kodak ISO 800 film currently stocked.

This is strange! Now, I don't generally use MAX 800, but I'm still curious what the deal is. MAX 800 is very popular -- it is the only color film used in single-use Kodak Cameras. Odd that B&H would stop carrying it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    Whoops...should have posted in product availability.

I noticed that MAX 800 is missing from the B&H website.

I emailed them, and they replied that Portra 800 is the only Kodak ISO 800 film currently stocked.

This is strange! Now, I don't generally use MAX 800, but I'm still curious what the deal is. MAX 800 is very popular -- it is the only color film used in single-use Kodak Cameras. Odd that B&H would stop carrying it.

gone from adorama too.....still on kodak's webpage though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I gotta say...Kodak Max is about the crappiest film I have ever used. So, good riddance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    B&H has less and less film in stock right now and their sales person looks like they just got back from running a marathon. Also, there is no display of the film once you enter the store, you have to go around the film counter to find some films on display.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you want some Max 800, try Walgreens

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gotta agree with Chrism. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Just shot some high school volleyball action using a roll of Max 800 and a roll of Portra 400VC exposed -2. Had both rolls developed, printed and scanned to a CD at the same lab. The Portra underexposed two stops is vastly superior to the Max 800 at box speed. Just ordered some Portra 800 from Freestyle in hopes of great improvement.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would be surprised if Kodak has indeed discontinued their 800 speed film, simply because it's what their OTUCs use, and when I was cutting my teeth in the lab world, it was THE most abundant film type we took in for the 1hr service.

Shooter
    35mm
    We will carry every Kodak film we can get our hands on. We'd take a film off our site if future availability was unpredictable and the film was out of stock. If the film was out of stock but we had reasonable expectations of getting more, we'd leave the film listed but not the stock status.

Quote Originally Posted by highpeak View Post
    Also, there is no display of the film once you enter the store, you have to go around the film counter to find some films on display.
    There's no display of the film once you enter the store, BECAUSE you have to go around the film counter to find some films on display. We display film at the film counter, just as we display digital cameras at the digital camera counters.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I only use 800 speed films for pushing 2 stops to 3200 when I get really bored in the color darkroom. I don't care at all. That film has to have just about zero professional use.

Shooter
    35mm
    .....for what it is, kodak 800 is a decent film. The average consumer with their point and shit whatever won't notice the difference in a 4x6 print.............Most consumers who drop film at a lab aren't enlarging anyway. At multiple lab's I've worked at, the film pattern is many rolls, a couple 5x7's, where as the digital pattern is few 4x6's but proportionally many more enlargements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin