Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,736   Online: 776

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Anyone who thinks Kodak, or any company for that matter, is staffed by managers or chemists or engineers who don't care what their customers want is simply angry because their own personal needs are not being addressed. Such feelings, in less literate hands, become rants of frustration that are summed up as "This company sucks! They are so stupid!"

No company can continue to make things that aren't being bought. That's not evil. That's not poor planning. That's not poor marketing. Digital supplanted most of the business film used to have because it has advantages no amount of marketing for film could overcome.

Back to the OP. I'm mainly a Fuji guy myself, but my last two rolls of Kodachrome came back from Dwaynes in plain white cardboard mounts. When I send Fuji Astia in Fuji mailers, they come back in Fuji-marked boxes and Fuji-marked slide mounts. I really miss the Kodachrome-marked slide mounts. Makes it easy to see which ones are Kodachrome and which are E-6. When did the Kodachrome-marked mounts disappear?
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I'm mainly a Fuji guy myself, but my last two rolls of Kodachrome came back from Dwaynes in plain white cardboard mounts. When I send Fuji Astia in Fuji mailers, they come back in Fuji-marked boxes and Fuji-marked slide mounts. I really miss the Kodachrome-marked slide mounts. Makes it easy to see which ones are Kodachrome and which are E-6. When did the Kodachrome-marked mounts disappear?
    My recent Fuji and Kodachrome rolls all came back from Dwayne's in identical generic mounts and boxes. I like to have some indications on the mounts as well, so I used 0.5 x 1.75 inch return address labels (equivalent to Avery 5267) to make up my own labels on a laser printer with more specific film type, subject, and dates on them. You could always use a color printer and a downloaded logo of some sort to give them a branded look. I kinda miss that myself.

In the late 70's I lived in Dallas and worked at a camera store, and got overnight turnaround from the Kodachrome lab at cost.

Lee

P.S. Agree with you and Mike on the petulant and illogical company bashing, whether directed at Fuji, Ilford, Kodak, or others. The more choices we can sustain the better.

Polybun
    Anyone who thinks Kodak, or any company for that matter, is staffed by managers or chemists or engineers who don't care what their customers want is simply angry because their own personal needs are not being addressed. Such feelings, in less literate hands, become rants of frustration that are summed up as "This company sucks! They are so stupid!"
    I don't think the managers care, I'm sure the chemists do. What I think is going on is that at the upper levels, the products people really want are being held up in order to concentrate on products they think we want. The proof is in the pudding, no new products in 120 roll.

Honestly, negativity is a good thing, so long as a company can respond to it in the right way. Being endlessly optimistic serves no purpose at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go here: http://www.insideanalogphoto.com/ to hear what a Kodak manager is thinking and saying. As for 120, just be patient. The 120 market was drying up, but the MF and LF market is there and is stable.

I think after you listen to this interview your polybun will be done, complaining at least, about things that you know little. The managers do care. If they don't return a profit, they are eventually going to lose their jobs.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, as Diogenes quoted Socrates, "I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance;" however, I still claim that giving unacceptably short notice of discontinuance of a product vital for scientific research, which, in turn, hinders the progress of humanity, is one example of an injustice that happens to be an absolute truth.

Discontinuance of any product in the pursuit of unfettered raging Capitalism is fine, in fact, I applaud such a practice. All I ask is that a few months' notice be given. Is that so impossibly difficult for a large corporation to preform?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, on that I agree. They could have handled the discontinuance of products more "tactfully". However, the company was virtually imploding and had gone from 120,000 people WW to about 30,000 WW over just a few years. They had lost a good bit of their sales and advertizing staff as well as whole departments such as the paper department. Still no excuse but an explanation in part.

BTW, that was the same year Agfa went out of business and Ilford ran into a spot of bother as well. Kodak's sales dropped 30+% in one quarter. Not a peaceful quarter, I assure you!

PE

Polybun
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Go here: http://www.insideanalogphoto.com/ to hear what a Kodak manager is thinking and saying. As for 120, just be patient. The 120 market was drying up, but the MF and LF market is there and is stable.

I think after you listen to this interview your polybun will be done, complaining at least, about things that you know little. The managers do care. If they don't return a profit, they are eventually going to lose their jobs.

PE
    Phh, like they will never find another job. I watched Mehdi Ali run Commodore into the ground. C= went bust, and he found work with some other company (which he also ran into the ground only a decade later) 2 years later! The man paid himself 3 million per year to do it too! Which is REALLY funny since that is about the amount of money old chicken lips was loosing per year!

The only thing i will say in kodak's defence is that, if their digital cameras were of the quality of their existing films, they wouldn't be having any problems. 160NC is especially good, but I don't honestly think I will be able to get it much longer. They are trying to make the brownie of digital cameras. That would be fine if even the crapiest digital camera didn't cost way more than it is worth to develope. This IS kodaks own fault.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi View Post
    PE, do you know what, if anything, is going on at the Kodak - Dallas Texas location?

Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Nothing. But I do know that there is some graphics art work in OK. That is quite tiny though.

PE
    PE- Really? I thought that that is still an online Qualex C-41 location (3131 Manor Wy. is on the same corner as 6300 Cedar Springs Rd.). If not, do you know when they shut this down, and where the C-41 from TX goes now?

On the topic of the slide mounts...The last batch of Kodachrome from Dwayne's came in a Kodak box with Kodak-branded (not Kodachrome) mounts. These were sent out via a Kodak PK-20 mailer and mailed back in 10 days.

The envelope it was returned in was a paper envelope with a Dallas, TX return address and a Parsons, KS postmark. I have a feeling that the envelopes are provided by Kodak so that in case of an error in mailing, Qualex/Kodak has to deal with it rather than Dwayne's.

Shooter
    35mm
    I really miss the Kodachrome-marked slide mounts. Makes it easy to see which ones are Kodachrome and which are E-6. When did the Kodachrome-marked mounts disappear?
    I believe that if you send in your Kodachrome with a Kodak mailer, or through some Kodak-affiliated service (i.e. a pharmacy drop-box), you will get them back with Kodak (though not strictly Kodachrome) branding. When I send in my film through the drugstore here in Canada, it always comes back in a traditional yellow paper/card Kodak box with Kodak printed on the mounts, and a "processed by Dwayne's for Kodak" notice on the bottom. Some of the previous posters haver referred to this. Perhaps that is the only way to get those unique Kodak/Kodachrome markings on your slides?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kodachrome_processing.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, someone is mailing my C-41 film (processed in Kodak mailers sent to Dwayne's) from Texas (postmarked Texas) to me. It takes about one month, and I can honestly say, and if I were to show the horrendous results to you, everyone would agree, that the prints are ridiculously craptastic. I have seen much better results from 110 film at a grocery store minilab...that is sad (remember that 110 film negatives needed more elements, I think just one though, in the processing lens of the printer, and most grocery store minilabs did not invest in these). It motivated me to get a color enlarger; however, I seem to have trouble finding a place that sells precut color print sheets in sizes smaller that 8x10 (so any suggestions are welcome).

Photo Engineer, thank you for seeing my point about the method of product discontinuance, and not the actual discontinuance, in itself. That is the only thing that upsets me concerning Kodak, and I am glad that I made that clear to everyone. Kodak knows that I love them, haha.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin