Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,758   Online: 931

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Kodachrome Processing in Texas??

Here's my story. I am participating in the Kodachrome exchange so I have just shot two rolls of K-64. I put the first roll in an old pre-paid processing mailer and gave it to my local (Berkeley) camera store for processing. They put it another envelope and sent it to Swan Photo Lab who then out-sourced it to (I think) Dwayne's. I received the processed slides three weeks later at the store. The slides were in generic mounts in a black plastic slide box. The second roll I also put in an old pre-paid processing envelope but I addressed it to Dwayne's, put two stamps on it and dropped in the mail. A week later (today) lo and behold, I received the second set of processed slides, not from Dwayne's but from some place in Dallas, Texas. The slides came in a yellow and white Kodak slide box and in Kodak labeled mounts!

What's going on? I thought the last places on Earth for K-14 processing was Dwayne's and some secret Gov't lab in the Rocky Mts. Well it appears that the Kodak plant at 3131 Manor Wy, Dallas, Texas (a lab address listed on the mailer) is still active.

Terry

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi View Post
    Here's my story. I am participating in the Kodachrome exchange so I have just shot two rolls of K-64. I put the first roll in an old pre-paid processing mailer and gave it to my local (Berkeley) camera store for processing. They put it another envelope and sent it to Swan Photo Lab who then out-sourced it to (I think) Dwayne's. I received the processed slides three weeks later at the store. The slides were in generic mounts in a black plastic slide box. The second roll I also put in an old pre-paid processing envelope but I addressed it to Dwayne's, put two stamps on it and dropped in the mail. A week later (today) lo and behold, I received the second set of processed slides, not from Dwayne's but from some place in Dallas, Texas. The slides came in a yellow and white Kodak slide box and in Kodak labeled mounts!

What's going on? I thought the last places on Earth for K-14 processing was Dwayne's and some secret Gov't lab in the Rocky Mts. Well it appears that the Kodak plant at 3131 Manor Wy, Dallas, Texas (a lab address listed on the mailer) is still active.

Terry
    Anything is possible, maybe Dwayne's was extra busy, Kodak still had the equipment, so they filled up the tanks, and ran a few batches through, to help clear a backlog. If there is some special Kodachrome thing going on, they may have also temporarily opened a second lab, in anticipation of extra Kodachrome work to do.

Personally I think what happened is a lot of people switched to digital a few years ago, found it wasn't the perfect medium:rolleyes: and are now starting to move back into film work again. If you spend hours trying to get a digital shot to look like Kodachrome, you might as well shoot Kodachrome in the first place and scan it. Don't tell me you can't scan Kodachrome, people keep yapping the same crap about traditional B&W, and I have dozens of rolls of B&W that scanned perfectly.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wogster,

I hope you are correct, that because of increased volume Kodak uses a back-up plant, and maybe APUG made an impact with our Kodachrome Slide Exchange and other Kodachrome promotions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    Anything is possible, maybe Dwayne's was extra busy, Kodak still had the equipment, so they filled up the tanks, and ran a few batches through, to help clear a backlog.
    No, that's not possible. You don't just "run a few batches" with Kodachrome. Starting up the processing is a major undertaking, and you need trained people to do it. (An analytical chemist for one thing.) Besides, you need a fair volume to be able to get consistent results; that is one of the reasons all K-14 processing is now done in one place.

Wherever the package came from, it was processed by Dwayne's.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi
    The slides came in a yellow and white Kodak slide box and in Kodak labeled mounts!
    That's how they do it. Dwayne's are authorized to do "Kodak processing". Look at the bottom of the box. Does it not say "Kodak Licensed Product" and "Processed by Dwayne's Photo"?

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's more likely that either Dwayne's temporarily ran out of Kodak-labeled cardboard mounts and boxes or your K-64 order got mixed up with another E-6 slide order (which they also do) in the mounting area/dep't, and they just packaged it incorrectly.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All my Kodachrome is mailed to Dwayne's in prepaid envelopes. They mount it in Kodak mounts and send it back to me with a Texas return address, but the postmark on the envelope is from Kansas, hence it was mailed directly from Dwayne's to me. If I mail Fuji mailers and Kodak mailers together to Dwayne's, they arrive the same day. The Kodak is in Texas return address envelopes with a Kansas postmark. The Fuji is in Dwayne's return address envelops with a Kansas postmark. Also, I mail Kodak print mailers to Dwayne's, but they really are processed in Texas and send back quite a bit later than the slide film with a Texas postmark...their print service is as crappy as can be, but the slide service is superb!

It makes no sense, but I figured it out...dang Kodak playing with our minds!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik Sandstrom View Post
    No, that's not possible. You don't just "run a few batches" with Kodachrome. Starting up the processing is a major undertaking, and you need trained people to do it. (An analytical chemist for one thing.) Besides, you need a fair volume to be able to get consistent results; that is one of the reasons all K-14 processing is now done in one place.

Wherever the package came from, it was processed by Dwayne's.

That's how they do it. Dwayne's are authorized to do "Kodak processing". Look at the bottom of the box. Does it not say "Kodak Licensed Product" and "Processed by Dwayne's Photo"?
    How about a reality check for a moment. Suppose something happened to Dwayne's, fire, tornado, financial difficulty, mechanical breakdown, labour troubles, etc... It could very well leave Kodak with millions of dollars worth of film that they can not sell without a processing facility. I am sure there is a backup plant somewhere, and Kodak has the people to make that plant go. The other issue is that K14 is a processing machine, and Kodak probably has a bunch of them, it doesn't cost much to keep one machine hooked up ready to go, with an operational crew trained and ready, even if their normal duties is something else. Running a few batches through every year or two would make sure that the equipment and people are ready for the process to become operational if needed. This is the time of year to do it, because lots of people, who only use their camera once a year, will do so about a month from now. So, if Dwayne's has a backlog, then clearing it out now, makes sense. Even if Kodak loses money in the process, making sure they have an alternate is a good business plan.

Polybun
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    How about a reality check for a moment. Suppose something happened to Dwayne's, fire, tornado, financial difficulty, mechanical breakdown, labour troubles, etc... It could very well leave Kodak with millions of dollars worth of film that they can not sell without a processing facility. I am sure there is a backup plant somewhere, and Kodak has the people to make that plant go. The other issue is that K14 is a processing machine, and Kodak probably has a bunch of them, it doesn't cost much to keep one machine hooked up ready to go, with an operational crew trained and ready, even if their normal duties is something else. Running a few batches through every year or two would make sure that the equipment and people are ready for the process to become operational if needed. This is the time of year to do it, because lots of people, who only use their camera once a year, will do so about a month from now. So, if Dwayne's has a backlog, then clearing it out now, makes sense. Even if Kodak loses money in the process, making sure they have an alternate is a good business plan.
    See, the mistake there is thinking kodak gives a flying fuck! Kodak doesn't care, Kodak hasn't cared about film in years. Hell they have been trying to get us to stop using kodachrome for the past 40 years! They have been trying to get us to stop using film for the past 10. If dwayne's burnt to the dirt, I don't think the heads of Kodak would lose any sleep at all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Ghaffari View Post
    All my Kodachrome is mailed to Dwayne's in prepaid envelopes. They mount it in Kodak mounts and send it back to me with a Texas return address, but the postmark on the envelope is from Kansas, hence it was mailed directly from Dwayne's to me. If I mail Fuji mailers and Kodak mailers together to Dwayne's, they arrive the same day. The Kodak is in Texas return address envelopes with a Kansas postmark. The Fuji is in Dwayne's return address envelops with a Kansas postmark. Also, I mail Kodak print mailers to Dwayne's, but they really are processed in Texas and send back quite a bit later than the slide film with a Texas postmark...their print service is as crappy as can be, but the slide service is superb!

It makes no sense, but I figured it out...dang Kodak playing with our minds!
    Ahh..I did not check the postmark, just focused on the return address. So it would make no sense for me to send the next roll directly to the Texas return address? And why two different mounts and boxes from the same place? I thought it might have something to do with Swan outsourcing to Dwayne's but that makes no sense either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Polybun View Post
    Kodak doesn't care, Kodak hasn't cared about film in years. Hell they have been trying to get us to stop using kodachrome for the past 40 years! They have been trying to get us to stop using film for the past 10.
    Which is why they've spent R&D and geared up for production of new or improved emulsions like Ektar 100, TMY-2, improved Portra films, etc in just the last two years. And those are the reasons that they continue to produce a large array of films that are still in demand, or even have minimal demand like Kodachrome. Thanks for clearing this up.

Lee

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin