Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,159   Online: 876

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    "Search the forum using the keywords RA-4 and trays. Obtain a Kodak Color Darkroom DATGUIDE (they are out of print but you can find them on amazon.com)."

Look on ebay.com theres three going a lot lot cheaper than amazon........ and its making me mad....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about cibachrome prints, now called ilfochrome prints. The run at 75 and print quality is great..... I have even seen the CAP 40 automated processor for little money on ePay..... :o wait that would entail shooting slide film to start with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would love to do Ilfochrome prints as well but the price is crazy. Factoring in wastage and color balance issues it would probably be cheaper to make platinum prints (if you don't make mistakes with those).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I would love to do Ilfochrome prints as well but the price is crazy. Factoring in wastage and color balance issues it would probably be cheaper to make platinum prints (if you don't make mistakes with those).
    True in the last 5 years the cost of chemicals alone has gone up 3 fold, the paper not so bad, but they have reduced your choices for surface.

I guess my 25 years of doing cibachromes has not deterred me as I have a great system down the has my waste really low and color balance issues nonexistent. I have been using the more expensive glossy polyester material for my underwater images. The 16x20's look great

Shooter
    Multi Format
    delphine.

Currently I have about 8 bottles of chemicals on the floor in my darkroom, all a mix of various used liquids. We only just moved in to this place which is why there isn't more.

If I was lazy I might have tipped them away but I can't here because we have a bio tank, our house waste runs into a protected river so our waste water has to be, and is, literally drinkable.. my chems would kill all the little bacteria in the tank.

So in answer to your question.. I haven't figured it out yet, there are more and more containers building up! One of these days I'll contact the local council and ask them what to do with it. I'm intrigued by the nutralising thing you mentioned, though I figure I'd still have to take them somewhere there is mains drainage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've also tried Ilfochrome and found it as easy as RA4.. though the actual process of developing a print through to wash takes about 12 minutes or so I seem to remember. Not that that's an issue, but I'm not a great fan of the cpe2 with all the lifting of the drum and draining along with pouring in the next batch etc etc, then you have to have a warm wash between the various stages etc. I'd love to know of a small machine that does all this for you.. ATL1500 anyone! Would love to have it all set up though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford once made 2 machines, the CAP 40 for cibachromes only, as it was one speed and one temp, and the ICP 42 which has variable temp and speed controls which also has a wash dry unit (IWD 42) that can be added to it, though I use mine without it and hand wash and hang dry the prints like laundry. When these machines were new they we over $2000 each but now you can find them on ePay for under $800. They need 2 liters of chemicals and you can run about 40-50 8x10 through one mix of chemicals (though I have run as many as 60 and seen little difference from the first to last. The bleach now has to be neutralized with baking soda, where as the older chemicals the dev neutralized the bleach, which was nice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rossawilson1 View Post
    delphine.

Currently I have about 8 bottles of chemicals on the floor in my darkroom, all a mix of various used liquids. We only just moved in to this place which is why there isn't more.

If I was lazy I might have tipped them away but I can't here because we have a bio tank, our house waste runs into a protected river so our waste water has to be, and is, literally drinkable.. my chems would kill all the little bacteria in the tank.

So in answer to your question.. I haven't figured it out yet, there are more and more containers building up! One of these days I'll contact the local council and ask them what to do with it. I'm intrigued by the nutralising thing you mentioned, though I figure I'd still have to take them somewhere there is mains drainage.
    You will probably have to take them to a hazardous waste disposal site, hopefully the local municipality has one, they usually do, to deal with things like car batteries, household chemicals, partly used paint. You can probably mix different developers together, different photo bleaches and different fixers, suggest you do so outside, in case there is a reaction.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's great, I didn't realise there were Ilfochrome machines.. thank you! I'll keep my eye out, though do you know if a durst printo will do the job? They seem to be more readily available.

I thought that might be the case wogster.. I was going to get an old army petrol tank and dump them all in that but now I think I'll keep them separated. Thanks for the heads up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's great, I didn't realise there were Ilfochrome machines.. thank you! I'll keep my eye out, though do you know if a durst printo will do the job? They seem to be more readily available.
    I must say the design of the ICP 42 is really simple and clean and with the vairable speed and temp controls it gives it the ability to do B&W and other processes and prints from 7" long and 16" wide. It's a simple machine and I have never seen a problem with one that wasn't easy to fix. Actually I don't think I have seen any of the 3 machines I have worked with in various locations ever fail, though I do have an extra machine laying around just in case mine (knock wood) should during a printing session.

The only problem with the ICP 42 is that it's best to use up the chemistry in it as fast as possible, and most importantly in less than a week, which is no problem for me when I run 16x20's, as it does not do well in the tank, but you can get far more prints through the same amount of chemistry than you can if you do one shot rotary tube processing.....

Now I don't know about the printo so I couldn't say.

I thought that might be the case wogster.. I was going to get an old army petrol tank and dump them all in that but now I think I'll keep them separated. Thanks for the heads up.
    All the fixers should be passed through some sort of silver recovery system if at all possible, to remove the silver that it removed from the film during process.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin