Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,170   Online: 1096

Thread: Bleach bypass

Anyone know if bleach bypass is viable with regular C-41 or E-6 processes? (Not the ones with combined blix obviously.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson
    Anyone know if bleach bypass is viable with regular C-41 or E-6 processes? (Not the ones with combined blix obviously.)
    I've never tried it.

I would *think* that it would not be very successful. The function of "bleach" in the color process is to remove dyes "unaffected" by exposure to light after the "affected" dyes have been "nailed" in place by the fixer.

This is different from the black and white process, where fixer converts light affected and developed "soluble" salts to Insoluble components to be washed out.

However - I'm fairly sure there would not be a catastrophic explosion. Uh... if you are going to try processing color film without the "bleach" (I can't help but wonder why...?) I would suggest an experimental film ... one where an adverse outcome would not be cause for ashes, sackcloth and extended weeping and wailing.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

DKT

it's a special effect used in motion picture film.....although I've never done it--I think it would be pretty easy with 6 step E6, if you did it by hand or had someway to bypass the step on a processor. I don't know about setting up the rest of the process or adjusting the film speeds though--I read a little bit about this a couple of years ago on PDN's site, you could check there....my impression was it's similar in a way to cross processing.hope this helps a bit.

Thanks, yet another reason to get a processor I guess!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bleach bypass is a motion picture film PRINTING proocess -- the original neg is shot and processed normally, the printing internegs are bleacg-bypassed, enusring a maximum of safety and do-it-over-again control.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin