Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,535   Online: 1020

Shooter
    Large Format

Minox Kodachrome results

I just got back my first 3 rolls I sent to Dwayne's to process and the turned out brilliant. The fine grain of KR-64 really is a wonder for subminiature sizes. If only I had been born a few years earlier, I could have done all this with KRM-25!

This is the first roll of color I've put through this little camera and I can say I am just as impressed with the camera as the film. I had some doubts about the accuracy of the meter but the colors are rich, the contrast good, and everything is sharp.

I have a brick of KR64 120 waiting in the fridge so I will continue taking pictures and I encourage other minoxers or minolta 16 users to contact Dwayne's to set up an agreement. They're charging me the same as processing for a 35mm roll for sending them my strips in bags in a 8mm film can. Not bad considering I'm saving money by slitting film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    P.S.
    I was cleaning the strips after all my handling them and since I don't have any film cleaner I decided to use some solvent alcohol on a lint free rag. after gently pulling it through the folded cloth I noticed the some color came off on the rag. It looks as if cleaning the back removed some magenta dye from the film and green was removed from the emulsion side. It's not dark, just a light coloration, and the images still look as vivid
    I consulted some texts on the image structure and as yellow is the surface coat and only the curl resistant layer is on the bottom what's going on here? I couldn't be removing any of the image dye, could I? Is this just left over scum on the surface or something in the processing baths?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioiron View Post
    If only I had been born a few years earlier, I could have done all this with KRM-25!
    You can always try to look for some on ebay. I got some rolls a while back that expired in 1989 and were allegedly kept frozen since purchased. And there is nothing in the world wrong with that film (ie no color shifts). K25 DOES have a finer grain than K64, but not by leaps and bounds. Perhaps the bigger advantage to K25 is the increased saturation. K25 gives you more vivid colors than K64, but without being obnoxious like Velvia can often be. You just have to try it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    First, don't use alcohol full strength as it can effect color stability. The color coming off is normal for cleaning first time. Why don't you splice them all together to make 50 feet and have them run it when they do super 8. Walmart has only $5 for 50 feet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You Know how many rolls that would mean taking? I'd like to see the results of my pictures while I'm still young!

What is good formula for film cleaner? 1 to 1 alcohol and distilled water? I just consulted the "red book" (photo lab index) including the section on Kodachrome and the only mention of film cleaner is carbon tetrachloride. I don't feel like getting cancer from my hobbies.

I was just thinking that there may be some of the nicer pictures I may want to have prints of, do any of you know if any of the Minox labs still make prints from slides?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin