Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,144   Online: 1071

Thread: Processing K-12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Processing K-12

Hello,

Pulled a roll of Kodachrome II K-12 from my new Argus C-3 today. I understand that I can process this as a black and white film only nowadays. Anything I should know before I just throw it into some HC-110? I don't need slides. Negs are fine.

The camera itself is very sweet. In excellent condition with never-ready case, flash, cased Weston meter, and original box. And all for...FREE.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-30-2008 at 04:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any normal B&W developer will bring out the silver image, of course. Then you need a way to remove the remjet backing. This page might be useful: http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lave...2bwnegdev.html

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out! Show scans if possible!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik Sandstrom View Post
    Any normal B&W developer will bring out the silver image, of course. Then you need a way to remove the remjet backing. This page might be useful: http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lave...2bwnegdev.html

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out! Show scans if possible!
    Thanks for the info.

Why would a still film have a remjet coating, though? The guy in the link is writing about motion picture film, if I read it correctly. Same theory, but the roll I have should not have a remjet backing.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    I believe all Kodachrome film, motion picture or not, has a remjet backing. Was the base side of the film black? If so, there's a good chance it has remjet applied.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as I know all Kodachrome has a remjet backing layer that must be removed in an alkaline wash before processing.
    The K14 first developer bath is basically a PQ mono developer I think Ilford make almost the same product.
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cool. Thanks, all. I will either use my D-19 or my Ilford PQ, both of which are already in hand, and let you know what happens.

I am interested in hearing more about remjet removal, however. One guy sez do it before, and another guy sez do it after. What has worked for y'all?
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As others have said, all Kodachrome films, still and movie, has remjet. The reasons are probably mostly historical.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I am interested in hearing more about remjet removal, however. One guy sez do it before, and another guy sez do it after. What has worked for y'all?
    In normal Kodachrome processing, remjet removal is the first step. I wouldn't try to do it that way though, since it needs to be done in complete darkness and you'd have no way to see if you're getting everything off. After processing, when the film is wet, the backing ought to come off pretty easily, and you can see what you're doing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I don't have any experience in this, my understanding is that if you don't remove the remjet backing first it will come off in the developer and potentially stick to the emulsion.

I'd remove it first...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    First use a bath of one teaspoon sodium sulfite per liter to soften the remjet, then rinse/agitate or remove it with a cloth in the dark. You are better off reversing it because the film contains a yellow filter made of silver which will only go away if bleached. You will have a hard time printing the negatives on most materials.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin