Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,977   Online: 816

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    I think in 50 years, one can buy 35mm B&W and color films. Cheaply too, and perhaps all made in India or China :-( But at least film will be around. I do think that what influences the big companies to make film is be far the number of people shooting film and not the number of film cameras being made. Film is slowly losing it's charm in high school and college curriculums, and as film usage dies in the schools, so will film, because for film to thrive, new shooters need to be introduced into it. All of us old film nuts will be dead "soon" (relative to teenaged years).

As to "stupid" digital users, well if you look all over the internet, one will find amazing fantastic work done by "stupid" digital users, and I mean awesome work at the very top of the craft, from nearly ALL the big photographer names in most genres.

While I share your fervor for film, calling digital shooters "idiots" is not going to benefit anyone, nor change anything except to make one look like one more interested in cameras and media then the prime directive: The Picture.

I think you will find "stupid", "greedy", and "cheap" people shooting both film and digital, and to demonize one or the other is...well, it's stupid! ;-)
    I don't think anyone said you were stupid for shooting digital, although many people are stupid enough to believe as gospel the marketing hype they see in the big photo magazines, that you must get rid of that decrepit ancient 18 month old 12MP digital camera for the new 14MP digital camera, even though you never print anything larger then a 4"x6" print or a 800x600 pixel JPEG online. Of course this new camera has only drivers for the absolute latest version of Windows, so you need to replace your computer and all of the software too..... Of course now that you have spent $4000 on a new digital imaging system, you complain about the cost of film at $10/roll (including processing). Oops I forgot something, you spent that $4000 on your credit card at 20% per annum interest computed daily, so better make that at least $4,.500 by the time you get it all paid for.

Of course at $10/roll one would need to shoot 450 rolls in 18 months to spend the same amount. That's around a roll every day and a half, few non-professionals would shoot that much. in 35mm at least.

Many professionals shoot digital where time is money, and the time is more important then the cost of equipment which can be written off anyway.....Some though have found that the time spent on the computer is more expensive then the cost of film and processing, so they moved back to shooting film.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don't know if has been mentioned before but another use of film that is not going away soon is film for aerial photography. There is probably a lot of that being used in the world although not on the level of that used by the movie industry. It is possible to simply repackage that film for use in still cameras.

Freestyle has just received some Rollei Superpan 200 that is repackaged Agfa Aerial film. It is on a polyester base which is important to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Eskridge View Post
    Don't know if has been mentioned before but another use of film that is not going away soon is film for aerial photography. There is probably a lot of that being used in the world although not on the level of that used by the movie industry. It is possible to simply repackage that film for use in still cameras.

Freestyle has just received some Rollei Superpan 200 that is repackaged Agfa Aerial film. It is on a polyester base which is important to me.
    The biggest user of aerial photography used to be the military. In the US, they have mostly replaced film with digital and video techniques. But film is still used by several foreign governments, including some in NATO. Commercial aerial photography using film is also still alive and growing a bit. Overall, this market is probably shrinking fairly rapidly, although it will be around for a long time for some uses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    I don't think anyone said you were stupid for shooting digital, although many people are stupid enough to believe as gospel the marketing hype they see in the big photo magazines, that you must get rid of that decrepit ancient 18 month old 12MP digital camera for the new 14MP digital camera, even though you never print anything larger then a 4"x6" print or a 800x600 pixel JPEG online. Of course this new camera has only drivers for the absolute latest version of Windows, so you need to replace your computer and all of the software too..... Of course now that you have spent $4000 on a new digital imaging system, you complain about the cost of film at $10/roll (including processing). Oops I forgot something, you spent that $4000 on your credit card at 20% per annum interest computed daily, so better make that at least $4,.500 by the time you get it all paid for.

Of course at $10/roll one would need to shoot 450 rolls in 18 months to spend the same amount. That's around a roll every day and a half, few non-professionals would shoot that much. in 35mm at least.

Many professionals shoot digital where time is money, and the time is more important then the cost of equipment which can be written off anyway.....Some though have found that the time spent on the computer is more expensive then the cost of film and processing, so they moved back to shooting film.

Those numbers are so exaggrated it makes my laugh. lol ;-)

Lets just agree that film is a fantastic medium, and we all share a love, and fervor for it, and leave it at that, okay? ;-)

We don't shoot film to save money. We shoot film because we love the look, the quality, the effect of film.

As to film's future, I think it is going to be with us for decades. I do think that the processessing of color is very expensive and the cost will only go up. B&W film and processing is cheaper then 20 years ago, and I think B&W film will be around long after color ceases to be made.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These people are bidding like they think all film production has ceased - I mean, how old is that Kodachrome 64??? - I bet it has the mailers with the Hemel Hempstead address.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/54-rolls-of-35...QQcmdZViewItem

Astonishing - if that lot was in my local Calumet as a job lot they would probably sell it all to me for £5 - infact the other day they gave me a 5 pack box of Portra 400NC 12 months out of date.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    The new Kodak Vivitar KV100 35mm SLR should be out soon.

I really don't understand the whole idea that no one makes film cameras anymore. I got last months Shutterbug magazine with all the Photokina stuff in it, and there are several new film cameras in it, including 35mm.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Searust View Post
    The new Kodak Vivitar KV100 35mm SLR should be out soon.

I really don't understand the whole idea that no one makes film cameras anymore. I got last months Shutterbug magazine with all the Photokina stuff in it, and there are several new film cameras in it, including 35mm.
    There was a post here a few months back, and I also heard from another source that this deal was off!

Anyone confirm it?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak view on film R&D & sales

Tnx for Mr Rockwell pointing to this article on Kodak:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...=2009901040325

rhmimac

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    The biggest user of aerial photography used to be the military. In the US, they have mostly replaced film with digital and video techniques. But film is still used by several foreign governments, including some in NATO. Commercial aerial photography using film is also still alive and growing a bit. Overall, this market is probably shrinking fairly rapidly, although it will be around for a long time for some uses.
    Oh, huge amounts have been used for mapping for civil purposes as well. Worldwide. I work close to the Swedish National Land Survey, and they now use digital sensing both at home and in development aid projects abroad.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin