Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,980   Online: 820

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Microwaving Chemistry

Say...I don't feel like tempering....

Will it harm the chemistry? Will my microwave still be usable afterwards?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I do this all the time, but I brought an old microwave in the darkroom. I wouldn't use it for food again! Life is too short and fragile.
    A fool with mission!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I quite often put my distilled water in the microwave to warm it up when making solutions if the darkroom is cold. And I quite often heat up lith developer in the micro. But I bought a garage sale microwave for $20 for the darkroom. I would not put photographic chemicals in a microwave that I intended to put food in afterwards. Sounds like really bad lab mojo to me.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Won't harm the chemistry, and won't harm the microwave oven either. But you are bound to splash some chemistry around in there, so I wouldn't use it for food afterward. Ask me if I follow my own advice. No. I reheat my coffee in there too. But to be fair, I wipe down the interior with a clean wet towel each time I use it.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my darkroom I have an old microwave that I picked up very cheap at a yard sale. I made a stand for it so that it sits below my sink and is out of the way. Mostly I use mine to heat my potassium oxalate developer for Pt/Pd printing and also to dry FB test strips - it turns RC into blister packs.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomDan View Post
    - it turns RC into blister packs.
    That it does. Fortunately, a hair dryer is very effective for RC test strips
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I microwave my distilled water when making my developer and such. I'm not sure about nuking chemistry though.... I think there are some longer threads on APUG somewhere if you search. There are those who recommend against it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have tempered one too many pitchers of E6 chemistry. The problem comes with water wasting. In order to temp quickly enough before the bath cools, I need to dump the whole thing to fill with 120 degree water out of the tap, and bring that under control to 101 before starting the step. Repeat 2x for developers every time and I get annoyed.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    I have tempered one too many pitchers of E6 chemistry. The problem comes with water wasting. In order to temp quickly enough before the bath cools, I need to dump the whole thing to fill with 120 degree water out of the tap, and bring that under control to 101 before starting the step. Repeat 2x for developers every time and I get annoyed.
    Don't ever heat Nelson Gold Toner in the micowave as it ruins it. I don't know why but it does.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You can buy a nice electric hotplate for under $20 at Walmart or Target...Evan Clarke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin