Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,636   Online: 765

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Best Way to Mail Film

Well, I am finally making my long-awaited move back to the East Coast. I need to ship about 75 rolls of film, and do not want to take them on the airplane with me.

Most of it is right now either frozen or in the fridge. They are assorted chrome, print, coleor & B&W, and speed range from 64 to 1600.

What method of shipping does not x-ray? Can I use the USPS Priority Mail, or is Fedex Ground better? Cost will be rather low, but I am most concerned about x-rays.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I receive most of my film via USPS. As far as I know, none of it has been xrayed. I've certainly never had any fogging.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ask the post office to plaster the package with "Do Not X-Ray" stickers or wright the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've shipped film to myself via USPS priority mail, and bought it mail order via USPS, UPS, and Fedex. No problems so far.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Rahman View Post
    Well, I am finally making my long-awaited move back to the East Coast. I need to ship about 75 rolls of film, and do not want to take them on the airplane with me.

Most of it is right now either frozen or in the fridge. They are assorted chrome, print, coleor & B&W, and speed range from 64 to 1600.

What method of shipping does not x-ray? Can I use the USPS Priority Mail, or is Fedex Ground better? Cost will be rather low, but I am most concerned about x-rays.

Thanks for your recommendations!
    Ground shipping is less likely to X-ray then air shipping, but the best thing to do is contact the customer service number for each carrier and see what they say.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    I buy my film from B+H and Adorama (in NYC) and have had it shipped to me in NC via UPS ground and air. All my exposed film goes to Colorado for developing via UPS ground. Sometime after 9/11 and the anthrax scare I confirmed with them that they are not using xrays or anything else in high enough doses to damage film. I've never had any problems. You might call whoever you choose just to be sure (esp if you have 1600 speed).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    have shipped film from the usa to canada and from canada to thailand without any fogging issues. I just used USPS or Canada Post

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, all. I will check with USPS & UPS for ground shipments just to be safe. I am grateful for your advice!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin