Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,859   Online: 985

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    PE, is there any practical way to develop these films? They all use a backing don't they? Different chemical process?
    I'm not sure I understand the question.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I think he is reffering to motion picture films. I've read about some of them having a different layer also. As in they can't be processed in C41 chemistry. I was looking at Kodak Tungsten films. Kodak 5247 I think? And read that it required a certain wash to remove a coating. I'm entirely ignorant when it comes to any kind of colour processing but that's what I think he means.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry. I am typing on my iPhone and made the question too brief. I was simply asking if MP film can be shot in a 35mm camera in a convenient way. From my memory it has a remjet backing and a different chemical process than C-41. Is this correct?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    Sorry. I am typing on my iPhone and made the question too brief. I was simply asking if MP film can be shot in a 35mm camera in a convenient way. From my memory it has a remjet backing and a different chemical process than C-41. Is this correct?
    You are correct.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    To answer a few questions....

If you photograph a neutral density scale and enlarge it then read it, you will get some measure of granularity which can be loosely defined as the variation in density over a given area of space. It is the reverse of taking the small image and reading it with a microdensitometer. So, you do not need a microscope at all. All you need to do is magnify an image and measure density fluctuations in a straight line across the surface of a print. The root mean square of this fluctuation might be considered the grain at that density. Doing it repeatedly over all densities and then plotting the resultant RMS values will give you "RMS Granularity" of the film as a function of density or exposure.

As for motion picture films, Mike is partially correct. Color Motion Picture films are the finest grained of all color negative and print films. The fineness of grain and resolution are astounding. But, nothing is perfect. In fact, there is a minimum value for grain due to noise. You can cast a pure grainless dye on transparent support, and it will yield a finite value for RMSG due to the noise in the measuring system.

PE
    I could have sworn that Pro 160S was finer than Ektar 100 though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Measure them.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    has anyone ever used the Tetnal press kit to develope Ektar 100?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If a DSLR is reaching defraction limits at nearly 25 MP then imagine what compact with a zoom lens and sensors over 25x smaller and 12MP sensors are doing am I right in thinking those cameras in reality can't get close to their rated resolutions for real?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin