Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,538   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ektar vs Alpha 900/Velvia revisited: new scans

Hi all,

I know a lot of you visited my website to read the Kodak Ektar 100 test with Ektar competing against Velvia 100, Portra 160VC, TMax 100 and the Sony Alpha 900.

Now the first published Imacon 646 scans were sub-optimal , due to a badly calibrated "backup" scanner that served as temporary replacement for an Imacon Flextight 848 that was being overhauled and serviced...

The good news: the 848 was back and I have made new scans. Since I had much better results in terms of contrast and color, I now have spent even more time examining and fine-tuning the scan results. The difference is therefor significant and well worth revisiting! For example, the Ektar 100 scans had a reddish cast all over, while the Velvia 100 scans were more greenish. Now Velvia is close to neutral and Ektar also better.

In addition, all films now easily hit the 40 lp/mm resolution mark (the highest resolution pattern that was available on the used testchart) with contrast left for resolving higher resolutions. The "backup" 646 wasn't capable of showing this.

I have updated all of the images to reflect the new scans.

I have also added a whole new section showing per-colorchannel (Red, Green, Blue) scan performance. I learned something new on the way that may be of interest to you all.

Have fun re-reading:

http://www.boeringa.demon.nl/menu_technic.htm

Don't forget to hit F5 to refresh your browser cache to view the new images...

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 01-15-2009 at 04:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the update! It really illustrates to me why so many slide shooters went right over to digital happily. Nice scanner too. Whoa.

I think I liked the Tmax shots the best - haha.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Marco,

this was my first reading, I missed the first edition, you are to be commended for such detailed work and effort. It demonstrates the remarkable improvement in digital capture over the last few years and leads to thinking of where digital capture will be in another few years.

It is interesting that simply leaning back from the monitor to about 4 feet made the images appear very similar, viewing distance is still a great leveller.

Well done

thanks

Marcus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad to hear you both appreciated the effort, it was a lot of hard work (but also a good learning experience for myself). And yes, the scanning results of all films, and especially Velvia, are surprisingly similar to the Alpha 900 at an actual print size of 60x90 cm!

When is the last time we all printed at such a huge size?!

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Gaaf Marco!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think digital (and to a lesser extent 35mm film) has basically reached diffraction limits. It's doubtful they can get much better quality without making the sensors bigger. That kind of puts the Digital SLR maker in a corner since the two big names don't and have never made Medium Format or larger glass. Technology can improve but there are always natural limits on optics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Domaz, actually your statement " the two big names don't and have never made Medium Format or larger glass" is incorrect. Nikon is/was a very reputable large format lensmaker, and same goes for Fuji. There are also rumours that Nikon is readying a new "MX" medium format to go up against the comparable Leica that was recently announced. It's true that Canon has no MF/LF basis.

At any rate, it's probably true that all the digital cameramakers have to go medium format now; there is no other room for growth in 35mm, apart from piling on more and more gadgetry. My own prediction is that there will be a ~36x36 format out of these companies before long.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon also supplied medium format Bronica lenses over the years (since '59?) and made the lenses for the Plaubel Makina folders of the 1980's. So they've made lenses for the full range of formats, including enlarging lenses, for decades.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marko;

Very impressive results. Good work.

I have one comment on your analysis at the end, of the reversal and negative systems.

You must remember that color negative is purposely built to have a contrast of 0.6 - 0.7 which is taken advantage of when scanned or printed by being turned into a positive image of about 1.5 - 1.7. A reversal film is built to have a contrast range of 1.5 - 1.7 to start with. In the end, they have the same approximate final visual result, but the color reversal has less latitued and less color correction.

In conventional printing, color reversal suffers from having a toe and shoulder which can be compensated for electronically by scanning, but color negative has no toe or shoulder and therefore does not suffer in the transition to either analog or digital copying.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    There are also rumours that Nikon is readying a new "MX" medium format to go up against the comparable Leica that was recently announced.
    Leica has announced a medium format camera?? I don't remember seeing anything about that here.
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin