Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,539   Online: 862

Shooter
    35mm

bleach bypass RA4 with blix

hello people do you ever tried a bleach bypass with room temperature kit (blix)??

how works???

also do have you ever tried partially bleach bypass( blix 50%) and then fix??

thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What is the purpose of a "bleach bypass"?
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Astronomers used it to dev colour film, normal colour dev then no bleach bath just fix then wash, bleach in a re-halogenation bleach, expose to light & reprocess, this particular method was also called looping. It could be done a few times and amplified the images, the final stage was normal C41 bleach & fix or blix.

I've done it with chromogenic processing of B&W paper.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    the finality is to achieve a dense black ,high contrast,desatured look and a a beautifull effect of enhancing the texture...i used it in motion picture film....

Shooter
    35mm
    Am I missing something here? If blix is used how can you do bleach bypass? I mean isn't blix supposed to be bleach and fix in the same solution?

Check this out. . .

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=36214

Looks like it is far more complicated than simple dilution or percentage, though I don't think anything more than bleach needs to be altered. Silver is generated by just the regular color development action, so you don't need to alter developer or fix. Unevenness definitely can be a problem though, and you'll definitely need separate bleach and fixation steps. . .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I know I'm necro-ing this thread, but the OP's question was never really answered. Partial bypass is indeed possible, and if the only bleach you have is a blix, then you can still do a partial bleach bypass. Bleach bypass is also reversible, so you can keep removing silver while you experiment until you have a silver density you like.

Given the original question, I'm assuming you have blix and straight fix, but no straight bleach. I'd try using no blix first to see how you like it. If that produces too dense of negs for you, blix it for 10% of the time, then refix. Repeat until you have a process you like, then do it with negs that actually matter.

Though if you're going to all this trouble, you may want to get a separate bleach, since there's no reason to use blix except convenience, and this is decidedly NOT convenient. Still, I like the look, and it's worth working for! :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is actually quite simple to do bleach bypass with a kit that supplies BLIX: these kits supply two bottles for mixing BLIX, and if you look carefully you will see that one looks deep red like Ammonium Ferric EDTA while the other one looks slight yellowish like Ammonium Thiosulfate. Just leave out the deep red liquid part and you should have a fixer.

If you want to use your own fixer, make sure it is neutral, PhotoEngineer gave us recommended pH between 6.3 and 6.7 on multiple occasions.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin