Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,635   Online: 1126

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Film and airport x-ray machines?

I hope this is the right place to post this question. I have not had to take film through airport x-ray machines for a number of years but now will be undertaking a trip that will require passing through the machines a total of six times.
    The film stock will primarily be 400 ASA Fuji colour neg and 100 ASA colour neg.
    Am I likely to have problems with fogging etc? Any tips, advice, precautions I should take etc?
    Thanks for your help.
    -- Hilton --
    www.thelightstuff.blogspot.com
    Tips and tutorials and mainly photographic musings!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Heres my two cents. most of the modern airport xrays are film safe. Especially with standard color film, you should be fine if you take a few precautions:

1) put the film in some sort of wrapping, in between clothes in a bag. Leather works best but anything is good unless you are planning on carrying IR film.

2) Ask a TSA person if the xray is film safe, if not, you can try to avoid the xray entirely by reasoning with a TSA person.

3, and most important) DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT THE CHECKED LUGGAGE XRAY!!!!! NOT EVEN A THOUGHT! If you want your film safe....CARRY ON!
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks very much for all your help.
    -- Hilton --
    www.thelightstuff.blogspot.com
    Tips and tutorials and mainly photographic musings!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If it's below Iso 800 you won't have any trouble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All film is fine with repeated scanning in carry on baggage. Do not check your film.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Remove the film from the cardboard boxes leaving it in the plastic containers. Place the film in a clear zip lock bag. Remove it from your carry on bag before your items go through the x-ray machine and ask for a hand inspection. These are the steps that I took when I flew to Washington D.C. for the inauguration and had no problems whatsoever.

By the way, I had 40 rolls of film ranging from 25 to 3200 ISO and they inspected each roll individually by hand, no questions asked.

Jamusu
    Last edited by jamusu; 02-01-2009 at 06:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    good luck!

john

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ask for a hand inspection. Don't risk it. They are likely to hand sample every roll of film for explosive residue, so plan in a few extra minutes (you never know what's in those 35mm film cartridges.) They say that the X-ray will not effect film under 800 ASA, which is a complete lie because it will effect them exactly half or a quarter as much.

If you're worried pack slower film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Ask for a hand inspection. Don't risk it. They are likely to hand sample every roll of film for explosive residue, so plan in a few extra minutes (you never know what's in those 35mm film cartridges.) They say that the X-ray will not effect film under 800 ASA, which is a complete lie because it will effect them exactly half or a quarter as much.

If you're worried pack slower film.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

They checked all 40 rolls of my film in this manner.

Jamusu.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin