Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,278   Posts: 1,534,848   Online: 746

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fiber Paper

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mentioning "window screens" has reminded me of a set-up I saw somewhere in the past ... that I was going to try, but forgot.

This consisted of modifying a regular pull-down window shade (with the spring-loaded center reel) by chopping off most of the shade material and fastening plastic (nylon?) window screen material to the cut end. This was mounted on the wall, and for use was pulled out over a bench, and the free end attached to a strategically placed hook. After use, the screen was unhooked, and, with a slight pull, retracted out of the way.

I've got to make one of these.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "At my level, there just isn't enough difference to outweight the work involved. "

There really isn't much difference in the work. A bit longer in the developer, wash times are of course different but since you indicate you do like the difference perhaps it would be worth it.

Of course I grew up using fiber and so it second nature for me. In fact I still only use graded fiber. We do recommend RC for beginning students but most of the intermediate and advance people move quickly to fiber.

With regard to your question about galleries etc. and RC prints. I am not aware of any galleries that would encourage and even show RC prints. Not in the end of the world, anyway.

Toning can be different. The shades of the toners will vary with the type of paper and developer used. IMHO fiber does everything better. But then I am an old traditionist.

Just place the prints under something heavy and leave them until you get around taking the next step. I just stick my under a dry mount press for ??? sometimes weeks. But then not every one has that option. Haven't tried ironing yet, but why not. Drymounting is also an "ironing method" (in a manner of speaking), In fact when I was a kid we did dry mount prints (small ) using an iron .

Ed; I saw that method for drying somewhere ages ago. Reminds me of any old fashion roll up blotter book.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not in the end of the world, anyway. This should read Not at the end of this world , anyway.
    DIdn't mean to sound like gloom and doom. Just a simple typo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    David-

I have to agree with Ann, fiber does everything better - except dry faster and flat.

I dry mine emulsion side up on some small fiberglass window screens I bought at the hardware store. Depending on the humidity it takes a full day to two full days to dry (two days during the hot and steamy Atlanta summer)

When I am done I stick them in a cold dry mount press until I need them again, or under some really heavy books. (the only useful thing I have found for my college text books)

Also, you mentioned that the paper seemed thinner than RC. Perhaps you got 'single weight' paper, most fiber paper is 'double weight' and is as thick as or thicker than RC. 'Single weight' curls really, really bad, double weight doesn't.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll vote for fiber doing everything better. Do alot of initial work prints in RC, then it is off to fiber for the finished product. To me there is just nothing quite as nice as a fiber print - but as was stated earlier, it is what I am used to. By the way, I hang mine from one end and let them drip-dry. Takes about a day and yes they do curl, but a quick pass in the old heat press and they have lost most of the curl. After a couple of days they are as flat a the RC.

I've noticed that RC seems thicker, but I think it is due to the plastic coating giving it a thicker feel.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Fred Picker once said. RC is for the hobbist and as long as we support it there is a good chance we will loose fiber paper.
    When I went to the only Photographic store in my town about geting fiber paper, they said," no one uses fiber paper anymore. scary isn't it.
    It isn't as archival as fiber either.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, this box does say single weight. Why would one use single weight if it curls etc. so much easier?

So, when I end up doing more fiber, what print washer would you recommend? Prefferrably something I can find used on ebay or somewhere?

David:

As you do more printing you will I'm sure, gravitate to fiber almost exclusively. Go buy a 8x10 packet of Ilford MG FB Glossy, and a packet of IlfordMG FB Glossy warmtone. Try toning the warmtone and see the effects that are available. I think you will get hooked on it.

As for a print washer, figure out what size prints that you think you will like to make in the future. Plan ahead on this because you will be disappointed if you get one that is too small. I use a Calumet, others here use ZoneVI as well as many others. www.fineartphotography.com has info on their site on kits to make your own. Check the archives and people here have described other ways to make your own.

Bottom line - try more fiber. By the way, glossy fiber is like pearl RC so I would recommend glossy.

Michael McBlane

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruby
    Yes, this box does say single weight. Why would one use single weight if it curls etc. so much easier?

Some papers such as Azo are only made in single weight. I don't know that single weight curls anymore then double weight papers at least in my experience. The Classic Polywarmtone paper sold by JandC Photo (site sponsor) is a triple weight paper.

I would also strongly second what others have said about using fiber paper
    for their fine work.

So, when I end up doing more fiber, what print washer would you recommend? Prefferrably something I can find used on ebay or somewhere?

I like the washers that are patterned after the Zone VI design. I bought my last washer used on Ebay. I built my first washer by patterning it on the Zone VI design. It is still in use today.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin