Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,485   Online: 899

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fiber Paper

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    One thing I find important when finishing the wash process is I take all the prints that day and one at a time I squeegee front and back on a heavy piece of glass then I lay the prints face down on the fiberglass screening.
    A question for Lee and others, can a squeegee damage the wet emulsion of a FB print?
    I'm about to switch from using RC to FB and while surveying the print drying threads, notice that many people use a squeegee.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I forgot to also ask whether the type of squeegee I use is important. E.g. the following from Patterson is labelled "RC print squeegee"

http://www.photococan.com/itm00638.htm

or is the following more appropriate for FB paper?

http://www.adorama.com/DKSP19.html

thanks

Peter

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    be careful and you will be ok I have a squeegee I bought years ago but I would use a wiper blade from an auto if I needed one now. I use a large piece of glass to squeegee on also and do both sides then they go on a screen for drying and I dont fool with them again till the next day.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    be careful and you will be ok
    Is it obvious if I haven't been careful, or will I only find out in 20 years time?
    thanks
    Peter

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB
    I forgot to also ask whether the type of squeegee I use is important. ...
    Mine is a rear window wiper off a 1984 Fiat Uno. No scratches seen (yet)!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I use RC paper for 99.9% of my work.

This came about through printing around 300 different B&W prints a day. All sized to an advertising layout. This changed in the late seventies to colour reversal prints from mostly 120 trannies. These prints were then pasted up by the graphic artists for reproduction shooting of each page for catalogue work.

Pretty hard and demanding, the EM10 enlarging meter is a Godsend for this kind of printing.

From there I progressed to larger stuff, sometimes mural work.

Basically, though the printing sessions were intense and although we pushed out mountains of work, quality was always an issue as the catalogues were perused by all of the industry.

This meant that my own darkroom ended being set up like my work, with a print dryer, which will take B&W paper, colour negative paper EP2 & RA4, Lith film and Duratrans. Not cibachrome, or any other plastic based colour emulsion though.

Last weekend I printed about 40 8x10" B&W prints. Tomorrow I have to do some RA4 8x10" and 12x16" prints of a motorcycle.

This amount of work going through means that when I do fibre prints, relatively speaking, I come to a standstill. I do appreciate the difference between RC & fibre based prints but I'm so used to pushing through prints and I'm not ready to slow down, yet.

I also understand quality versus quantity, believe it or not!

Mick.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin