Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,521   Online: 787

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Seattle FilmWorks is now known as PhotoWorks. They no longer offer deliver ECN films; their house brand is ordinary C-41 (made by Ferrania, the last I knew). It looks like they're discontinuing their film processing, as of March 13; it seems they're going digital-only.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Dale Labs uses some kind of process to turn a roll of print film into slides. I know for sure that there is no digital involved. The end result is on Kodak vision movie film. They don't really offer how they do it.
    I actually tried sending a roll to Ultracolor 100 to them last fall, and was VERY disappointed with the results. I don't know if I just got a bad batch, or if this is what is to be expected of the process. But given the results I saw AND the relatively high cost of the process, I would HIGHLY recommend just using slide film if you want slides.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    one way you can get positives from black and white film
    is by sending your film to dr5 they will convert it to slide film,
    and from what i have seen ( here and elsewhere ) they do a great job!
    Although dr5 gives you positives from B+W film labeled as 'negative film' (ie Ilford, Tmax, TXP, PXP, etc), it is actually a reversal process, NOT a negative process. No positives are made from negatives using dr5.
    Last edited by StorminMatt; 03-03-2009 at 04:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak Vision Color Print Film 2383 and its higher saturation version, Kodak Premier Color Print Film 2393, are still a possibility for printing 35mm color negatives into slides. From the data sheet (http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...ab_h12383t.pdf), the contrast looks to be a bit higher than color print papers, but that may be fine for projection. These newer print films do not have a rem jet backing, so they should be easier to process. But the standard processing is different from either C-41 or RA-4, although the formulas are available on the web. Short ends may be available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The contrast of commercial films and professional films is about 0.6 - 0.63 and the papers and now discontinued print films had contrasts of 2.5 to mach with these films. The paper has a Dmax of about 2.2 while the film had a dmax of about 4.0 just like the motion picture print films. This is due to the respective supports, paper and film.

Motion picture film is built to a contrast of about 0.50 and to achieve a print of the same contrast, the contrast of the print material must be about 3.0 or higher.

You can artificially alter these parameters by scanning and manipulation, but if you do direct printing, you will probably not like the results.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the responses. Having shot slides pretty much exclusively for a number of years now, I find the experience of looking at prints or scans from negatives to be a big let-down. I was hoping to find a way to turn some of my better old negatives into slides. It doesn't look like this is feasible. :-(

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And yet, I do this all the time!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    before I had an enlarger...I used my macro extender rings and photographed a few negatives with normal B&W film, probably Tri-x, to make simple slides

the original negative didn't fill the frame, but the resulting "slide" wasn't too bad...nuthin' amazing, but at least I could see what the shots looked like & it was fun

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kodak still makes Duraclear a clear base positive display film. It processes in RA4 at twice the print time. It is a cousin of Duratrans display film. Mounting slides on this material would be inconvienient but not impossible and the resulting slides may or may not reproduce correctly if printed themselves. For display they should be fine.

The process requires a color printing darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dwayne's will turn a neg into a slide for $1.10 a slide. Here is the order form http://dwaynesphoto.com/common/Slide...der%20Form.pdf
    Don't give up ship
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    Although dr5 gives you positives from B+W film labeled as 'negative film' (ie Ilford, Tmax, TXP, PXP, etc), it is actually a reversal process, NOT a negative process. No positives are made from negatives using dr5.
    what is the difference between a reversal process and a negative process ?
    is what the OP is looking for more of a duplicating process than a conversion ...
    for what it is worth ... photowarehouse one of the apug advertisers / sponsors sells (or used to sell)
    a single step duplicating film that allows you to dup negative to negative or positive to positive
    (sorry black and white only ) . it is the same that used to be sold by kodak as so-132.
    i have used both the kodak version and the photowarehouse version ...
    it is a safelight film, and very slow like azo - it requires a 300watt bulb to expose it,
    and then the film is processed in print developer. ( film to film contact print )
    i imagine it is the film that was used
    on tv and the movies when they show people developing negatives with a safelight on ..
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-04-2009 at 04:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin