Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,724   Online: 773

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Creating positives from negatives

I recently got an "older" book about 35mm rangefinders, which contained a section on the "plusses and minuses" of various film types. One of the advantages listed under negative film was the ability to produce either prints or positives. There was no explanation of how to create positives from a negative.

Given the orange cast of negative film, it doesn't seem that copying a negative with negative film would get you anything worthwhile. Is anyone familiar with how to produce positives from negatives?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The print films have been discontinued by both Kodak and Fuji. Sorry.

There are other ways, but they involve digital methods and are more suited to hybridphoto.com.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is also the possibility of the motion picture print films (and the issues with having to get it processed and low contrast that go with it) or you could try printing onto transparency film and cross-processing in C41. I haven't tried either, but I've heard of both.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You see a roll of such film pop up on ebay from time to time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is a maskless c41 film called digibase CN, made by Rollei. It's meant to be easier to scan because of the lack of mask. I suppose you could try to generate a colour positive from that, just by ordinary c41 duping.

I have been experimenting with this film for generating colour negs as the final product and haven't tried to go one step further. I also like the resulting positive prints, without mask correction... they have a curious feel. I uploaded some images here recently that were shot with this film, for example:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...2&ppuser=16571
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dale Labs uses some kind of process to turn a roll of print film into slides. I know for sure that there is no digital involved. The end result is on Kodak vision movie film. They don't really offer how they do it.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Dale Labs uses some kind of process to turn a roll of print film into slides. I know for sure that there is no digital involved. The end result is on Kodak vision movie film. They don't really offer how they do it.
    Print film is color negative. Kodak makes hundreds of miles of motion picture positive color release film. It is designed to make positive images from color negative film. But...it is only 35mm. There is no "secret" it is a standard contact printing of color negative film on Color positive movie film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eastman Color Print (ECP) is designed to work specifically with ECN (Eastman Color Negative or Vision Films) and as such does not match the contrast range of consumer and professional still films. This mismatch can give very flat looking pictures if you use ECP with Gold or Portra.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Hypothetically, if you wanted to generate slides using print films, wouldn't shooting ECN film and then printing onto ECP film work well? Having tried it years ago, I'm not a big fan of ECN film for making conventional prints, but as the contrast matching, etc., for these two films is correct, it seems to me that this would work well. After all, that's how conventional Hollywood movies are made, and this process would be the same, just with still frames rather than movies. Please correct me if I'm overlooking something.

Of course, if the goal is to get both prints and slides from a single roll, the above will involve compromises on the prints side (or a digital step to get the prints).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    seatle film works used to sell film that they would process.
    from what i understand it was tail ends of motion picture film ..
    and when you sent it to them, you cold get prints or slides ..
    i don't think they are around anymore, or if they are their business
    has changed.
    one way you can get positives from black and white film
    is by sending your film to dr5 they will convert it to slide film,
    and from what i have seen ( here and elsewhere ) they do a great job!

good luck
    john

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin