Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,631   Online: 804

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Ektagraphic, are you sure it's ECN-2 film? (Note it's ECN-2, not ENC-2; that could be the cause of some of JohnRichard's troubles finding information.) Dale Labs did indeed respool this film in the 1980s, but they switched to ordinary C-41 film in the early 1990s (definitely before 1994). I haven't used their services more recently than that, though. It's possible that they're selling small-roll ECN-2 films again, but I'm skeptical of that.

Concerning the development process, this APUG thread has a mix-it-yourself formula that's probably better than buying tens of gallons of the stuff ready-made.

FWIW, I used these films (or their predecessors) in the mid-1980s and eventually grew disillusioned with them, at least for still photography. I wouldn't discourage anybody from trying them if they're curious, but IMHO they are, at best, no better than common C-41 films for still photography -- at least, for typical purposes. I suppose if you're after a low-contrast print they might be just the thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oopps Sorry. I just looked at a roll and it says Procss CNK-4/ECP-2. I thought it said ENC-2.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    A quick Google reveals that CNK-4 is/was Konica's name for C-41. Very nice of Dale to use an obscure name for the process rather than mark it as "C-41."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aparat View Post
    I believe A&I will process respooled ECN-2. It might be worth giving them a call.
    A&I stopped doing this over a year ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A quick google search also reveals that ECP-2 is a movie film process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The film also looks like it has a rem-jet backing and I thought C-41 films (if the CNK-4 is C-41) could not have a rem-jet backing....

Shooter
    35mm
    Look at the sprocket holes and compare them to those of known C-41 (or B&W for still camera) film. Still camera film has rectangular sprockets with just a bit of rounding at the corners. ECN-2 film's sprockets are more curved along the two short edges (IIRC).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "The Camera Shop," http://www.thecamerashop.com/, did a great job with my Fuji Eterna 500T.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just called Dale and they told me that it was a movie film that they respool. What I find fishy is that the negs have frame numbers just like a regular roll of negative film. They told me that they apply them to the film themselves when they spool it. Does that sound possible?

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=Ektagraphic;764279]I just called Dale and they told me that it was a movie film that they respool. What I find fishy is that the negs have frame numbers just like a regular roll of negative film. They told me that they apply them to the film themselves when they spool it. Does that sound possible?/QUOTE]

Yes, that's possible. When I used SFW and Dale in the '80s, the rolls had frame numbers on them, and it definitely was movie film at that time. Kodak, Fuji, and even smaller/lower-tech manufacturers like Foma and Efke all manage to put frame numbers on their film. I'd guess they use some sort of cartridge-loading machine with a light source (LED displays, cutout numbers with a light bulb behind it, or whatnot). I can't imagine that would need to be very high-tech or expensive.

I'm still a little suspicious about the film being ECN-2, though. The process specification you reported on the cartridge is self-contradictory, and I know for a fact that Dale switched away from movie film in the early 1990s. I don't know about Dale, but SFW and at least one other outfit were very misleading about their changes at this time, presumably in an effort to bolster customer loyalty. What shape are the sprocket holes? As I mentioned earlier, ECN-2 films have two curved edges and two flat edges on their sprocket holes, vs. four flat edges for C-41 and B&W film sold for still cameras.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin