Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,671   Posts: 1,481,802   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Cinema film stills

I saw over on another forum, that someone had shot still images with Vision 2 stock. I am VERY interested in this, but cant seem to find the ingredient or supply for ENC-2 chems. There could be a very good reason for that, like "your not suppose to do that", but I want to.

I have some short ends left over from a shoot, and would like to load it into my trusty Pentax.

Anyone know of a supply for chems? or a lab that will process 3-4 feet only, and not cost hundreds? I'm not scared a bit to do it myself, which is why I ask for chems...

Any thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cannot give you a source for chems, but I can say that the negatives are low in conrast compared to Portra and Gold films. They use a special high contrast film for printing posiitive images. It is possible to scan Vision film and get good results by altering the scan parameters. However, Portra VC 160 and Ektar 100 are very similar in composition in many ways. Of course they differ but have much the same technology for reducing grain and increasing sharpness. There are lots of threads on this here and one is ongoing right now.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry I opened a new thread. I guess I just wasn't searching for the right terms.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've heard results in RA4 chemistry at various temps. ECN-2 chemistry is sold only in quantities to process thousands of feet of film because that's what people do with it. You could always splice your roll onto the end of your next movie reel.

and BTW there is a very nasty backing to the film which must be removed before development. I just tried it today and it's very gross but possible. You have to submerge the film in a bath of sodium sulfite and water and then literally sponge it off. You get very gooey doing it. Then you have to re-load the film onto the reel and then go to the developer. Have fun with that...

I believe the last lab that processed small quantities bit the dust because of various reasons...you might be able to splice a bunch together or something like that. Or try calling labs. You never know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tiberius;

I have seen rem-jet removed in one swipe with a cellulose sponge wet with sodium carbonate. Dilute carbonate on the folded sponge run over the film as it hangs on a hanger and then a swipe with a second sponge wet with distilled water. That should do the trick. Then rinse in fresh water and thread onto the reel underwater and it will work out just fine.

Put the lid on the tank and turn on the lights and then clean up the goo!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    call seattle film works and see who they recommend to process your film
    they used to sell short ends and process the film as well.
    maybe you can contact people that sell movie / commercial equipment
    (lights cameras and stuff ) and see who the people who still shoot film
    take their cans.

good luck
    john

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dale Labs in Florida will still process ECN-2. Good consumer/professional lab.

Kodak has full formulas online for ECN-2. Or, you can buy the kits, but the developer comes in a cubetainer to make 66 liters!

But, with current Portra and Ektar films, there's not a lot to be gained from using the Vision 2 and 3 films in a still camera. Plus, you really don't want to leave Vision films sitting in the camera for months...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I believe A&I will process respooled ECN-2. It might be worth giving them a call.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is interesting to note that the remjet removal pre-bath has no sodium sulfite in it.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dale Labs rolls Kodak vision up and calls it "Dale Film" and it is process ENC-2. I just shot a roll and got it back today. Not bad stuff.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin