Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 709

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Alternative E-6

Shooter
    35mm
    Dear PE!

I’ve read somewhere your comments to the former anscocrome developer, their need to avoid benzyl alcohol by (patent) law and that smelly “drop in“ replacement.

By the way, is there a realistic chance to increase saturation with benzyl alcohol or benzyl amine in E-6 emulsions, or increases stain only?
    I’m aware of benzyl alcohol’s absence in contemporary formulations, so this question is maybe answered already by itself…

Any ideas ?

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stefan;

BZA smears images decreasing sharpness. It was eliminated from E6 for this reason. IDK what it would do to E6.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Dear mts, dear PE and of course hello to all other.

First a big excuse for “hijacking” mts’s thread so badly, sometimes I’m just too curious. Sorry, sorry, sorry

I’ve found a German supplier for EDA, we’ll see if it comes through. The week after the next I do have some holidays (if the number of staff stay away sick will not increase anymore…) , then I will do some experiments with / without EDA.

Thanks’ for all inspiration again

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    35mm

EDA andt BTZ influence

Dear mts, dear PE (and Hello to all other… )

Times goes by, this should have done much earlier…
    According your hints I’ve tried Ethylene Diamine in the Color developer and Benzotriazole in the First developer in a “cross check”.
    I’m still using my somehow preaged / fogged / bad stored Agfa precisa 100 Slide Films in the same way with my former formulation.

4 Attempts:
    1: FD (my) standard, CD (my) standard with SCN
    2: FD (my) standard, CD + 2ml/L Ethylene Diamine (EDA) added, no SCN used
    3: FD + 0.1g/L Benzotriazole (BZT), CD (my)standard with SCN
    4: FD + 0.1g/L BZT, CD + 2ml/L Ethylene Diamine, no SCN used

Adding Ethylene Diamine does increase density about 0.2 Densitometry units without changing color balance, this seems to be indeed a very useful stuff!
    Surprisingly additional BZT in the FD does have a much bigger impact, around 0.3 units in density, but does harm the color balance visible. I assume that the inhibiting of developing process is more prone to the top / upper layers, so a magenta cast will be visible after complete processing.This would fit to the usage of plain hydroquinone (instead the sulfonated) in some formulations.

I will try this again with lowered BZT (0.02 till 0.05g/L) in combination with Ethylene Diamine in the Color developer. Latter may need a ph regulation again.
    This is still in (terrifying slow) process, don’t expect me back that soon

By the way, BZT seems to be only useful for preaged / fogged Film, but have to be used with care. Fresh material does not need this “trick”

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    mts - reading through the thread, would love to mix up my own E6 regardless of colour balance, I enjoy experimenting

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I would like to mix my own also. Unfortunately some of the many chemicals are becoming more difficult to find. Either hazmat or un-obtainium.
    Please share sources so all of us can become a alchemist;-)

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are three suppiers in the US/Canada. Other major chemical houses like Sigma/Aldrich won't accept individual accounts. Kodak is largely out of the organics business, at least for the retail market. You can also look for sources offshore in India and China, but getting delivery in the US is difficult.

http://www.jdphotochem.com/
    http://www.spectrumchemical.com/
    http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...ndex=0&tabid=1
    https://www.artcraftchemicals.com/products_1.php
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll add Antec at www.kyantec.com.

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 04-03-2009 at 05:35 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling. It is ANTEC. Sorry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Amazing. One of those suppliers actually had citrazinic acid. 25gm $34 plus shipping. ouch.
    That should last for a while though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Citracinic Acid is one of the chemicals you can play with

Less gives MORE contrast in the higher density regions. With my somehow preaged film I take as less as 0.6 g/Litre.

Even heard about omitting it completely by some authors, but I can’t recover the source. And to be honest, can’t recommend it if you are “boosting” developing the same time with EDA in the CD and BZT in the FD… (Exception may be possible if brewing a quite soft working FD)

The only “E6” exclusive agents are Citracinic Acid and (as I learned the hard way) Ethylene Diamine. Be aware that the most consumed factor is definitely time!!

All other ingredients, including HQ-sulfonate, are much more universal and can be used for various BW formulations including BW reversals and color developers. Seen from this perspective these (still expensive) specialties simply give you more possibilities…

Regards,
    Stefan
    Last edited by stefan4u; 04-03-2009 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin