Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,890   Posts: 1,520,845   Online: 1154

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pulling Slide Film

Hello-
    I was wondering what the benefits were to pull processing slide film. I already like to keep the film speed at a minimum, but why would someone ever pull E200 when they can get E100? Thanks
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Me too wondered about this some time ago, but as you I didn┤t come to any conclusion. I would say the most logic reasons would be at least: 1. to get reasonable results from a slide film that you overexposed by mistake and 2. to get shutter speeds that are still within the speed range of your shutter when shooting on a sunny day without having a neutral gray filter. But this is highly theoretical.
    Last edited by Slixtiesix; 03-17-2009 at 03:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    3. to shoot at a speed that you don't have the proper film for at the moment (maybe you want slower shutter speed and/or shallower DOF). 4. To experiment and get weird or maybe good or entertaining results. these more practical when you develop your own film, of course.

Robert J. Liebermann
    photos: http://rjl.us/photo
    Eureka Alaska/Vermillion Michigan USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "...why would someone ever pull E200 when they can get E100?"

Pushing and pulling do not affect the film's speed evenly across the board. This is a common misconception. They affect the contrast. Another common misconception is that rerating your film*is* pushing or pulling. It is not. It is simply a blanket over or underexposure, which can be used together with pushing or pulling to create different effects.

I pull transparencies all the time to lower contrast in a high contrast situation. For me, it is the main benefit of shooting a color transparency over a color negative. I don't do it because I want to change the speed of my film. I do it because I want to (or need to) change the contrast. Most will do -2 no problem. Some will hold up to -2-1/2 with correctable color (every one I have tried it with, anyhow: Provia 100 and 400, T64, and MS 100/1000). I've never found one that maintains correctable color at -3. Then again, that can be difficult even with a single-layer black and white film.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-17-2009 at 04:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The colour response of E200 is very different from any of the other Kodak ISO 100 offerings, so the look would be very specific to that film. Generally E200 is very favorable to skin tones, and renders very nice blue tones. It is also low contrast in comparison to other E-6 films. I have shot E200 at ISO 100, though I usually use it pushed. When using it at ISO 100, and then pull processing, the contrast is even lower, yet the colour response is the same as ISO 200. One usage would be outdoor people images with a brilliant blue sky; the lower contrast would avoid an overly sharp look, while the brilliance of the blue sky would still be there. The alternative for me would be to use Fuji Astia 100F, but then the blue sky would be much more subdued. All these E-6 films are subtle at times in their differences, except E100VS and Velvia, so a slight change is usage should be with a very specific end result as the intention.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What 2F said...to lower contrast in an overly bright situation. I've done it with Astia...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks..maybe I will try it some day with a few diffrent films....I wonder how Kodachrome would react......
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello, I've posted some results of pulling Velvia 50:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/5...ia-velvia.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I didnt think this question required me starting a new one...

Would pulling black and white slides cause lower contrast just like with color slides? I would assume so, but just wanted to check and see if anyone has done it
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Most current chrome films pull quite poorly. An exception would probably be Astia. But there's always a tradeoff, which is typically blocked-up or muddied highlights.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin