Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,385   Online: 693

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    This is great to hear. By the way, how can I tell which films are the older ones and which are the newer ones by the box or label?
    The older ones with "4th layer" technology had it written on the box, "4th layer", quite prominent and good to see on the box.
    On the boxes of the new films there is no hint to this technology any more.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Henning;

I can confirm what Gerhard Popp said, having been myself, involved in the work on green spectral sensitization and coating of negative films. Although he was not head of that division when I was in it, we were working with that problem many years ago and found it to be quite correctable without an extra layer.

However, some Kodak films did have what was essentially an extra layer in the sense that the fast and slow components of the C and M layer were coated in separate operations to improve speed and grain.

Fuji was constrained from some of these approaches due to existing Kodak and Agfa patents.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear Ron,

thanks for the additional information, very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Henning;

I can confirm what Gerhard Popp said, having been myself, involved in the work on green spectral sensitization and coating of negative films. Although he was not head of that division when I was in it, ......
    I quoted from the interview, which was published short after he had retired. They wrote he was head of this division before. But you surely know that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Fuji was constrained from some of these approaches due to existing Kodak and Agfa patents.

PE
    So perhaps some of these patents have now ended, and Fuji can go in this direction?

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Henning;

IDK the specific patents, but knowing the approximate dates were in the 80s, I would assume they are expired now.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodak Ektapress 1600 (Gold II?) gave natural results with sodium vapor lighting, fluorescent illumination and also compact fluorescent lamps, as my recent scans of negatives from 1996 have shown. It is a pity that this film has been discontinued.

The new Fujicolor films give essentially the same results with such light sources as the earlier 4-layer types. But I assume that of the 4th-layer technology, initially integrated into Reala 100, the patent has expired now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    hmm, i have a lot of rolls of Superia XTRA 800 (4th layer tech), works great exposed @ 640.

Shooter
    35mm
    Very interesting. Now, what about Fuji Super HG 200? I always assumed it was the same as Superia, but it's all I can ever find locally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So can someone point out this extra layer they call/called "4th layer"? I don't see the difference in the structure they list on data sheets from one to the other.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So the gist of this, is that the 4th layer, solved some problems with the existing chemistry, and was used as an interim solution whilst the emulsion chemistry improved to a point that this layer was redundant.

Sounds like a plan to me
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jerk151 View Post
    So can someone point out this extra layer they call/called "4th layer"? I don't see the difference in the structure they list on data sheets from one to the other.
    It is the cyan sensitive layer. AFAIK, it was not used in other brands. From looking at their FUJI's data sheets, it appears to be used in all their negative films.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin