Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,781   Online: 713

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well then you're good to go. Do bracket exposure and development the first time. What you do is expose in strips, then cut the film perpendicular to those strips and develop those for rather different times e.g. N-2, N, N+2. Compare the results by contact printing and then you'll have the right exposure/dev combo from one test. Note that you may be printing to grade 2 or 1, that seems to be where I wind up when I do this. So you will probably want multigrade paper for starters.

The main problem you can have is highlight transitions being too fast. If your E6 film has blown highlights then there isn't much you can do to get them into the b&w film, but in some cases I like the effect (I posted some examples in the galleries)... and if you are really skilled then you can hand-dodge the highlights!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great advice. Thanks!

Adam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    P.S. I found the link to one of the examples that I posted... this is from [somewhat blown] astia duped to tmax and printed to MGIV gr. 2 (yes, apparently I was attempting to use the products of every remaining film company on the planet....)

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=16571
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Buy a slide duplicator that fits on you camera, and load your camera with black and white film.
    That would be my suggestion too. Obviously, it gives you a smaller negative than an enlarger created film but if you are more used to working with small negatives then this may be a better method.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    Not necessarily. There is such a thing as B+W reversal paper. And I have seen it in the Freestyle catalog. Of course,I have never used it. But it would seem that one less duplication step would result in better quality.
    IIRC Maco in Europe do this as well. Like the Dia-Direkt film, not the most sensitive of emulsions, but if you're printing this isn't an issue. Just be aware that there is only one grade, so if you hanker for playing with multigrade paper or fibre, you're going to have to make an interneg to play with.

Note O/T, For Hybrid-alt process, a B&W laser printer and OHP acetate (Heat resistant naturally) do make a perfectly good interneg for stuff like Gum bichromate. Thats how I started trying out alt-process without risking decent, once in a lifetime LF negs
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin