Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,866   Posts: 1,583,202   Online: 835

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Tetenal C41 vs Kodak

I have used Tetenal C41 kits in the past and had very good luck with them, even with reusing the chemicals to get more life from them (as per the directions). The last set of C41 chems I bought were the Kodak 1 gallon dev and 1 gallon fix and bleach. As you know these small sizes seem to have been discontinued. From all the threads I have seen recently on mixing your own C41 I suspect many others are in the same boat as me in not wanting to spend $250 on bleach in the 12 gallon size.

Is there a good reason not to use the Tetenal 5L kit? I can't remember why I switched, but I think it was comments about their 3 bath E6 kits that made me move to all Kodak. No I am thinking I will go back to Tetenal for C41 unless someone gives me a good reason not to.

One bonus is you can get it shipped from B&H.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Check out Trebla chems. Not used them, but am thinking about it. They have a FilmPac for about $70 that has everything you need except for the dev starter, which costs about $3. Look at labdepot.com.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do you know if the Trebla kit is this suitable for Jobo processing? Can it be replenished this way to get close to thier stated 475 rolls? Lastly are the results as good as the Kodak or the Tetenal?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm not sure myself. The member on here on APUG who uses it likes it a lot. I'd like to get into C41 myself, but its next to impossible to get the Kodak stuff without buying 10's of gallons of the stuff. The bleach is the kicker. Search for 'flexicolor' on this forum to find the recent thread about this. I think the Trebla kit makes 12.5 gallons of developer if you used it single shot. My tanks use 8 oz per roll, so that comes out to be 200 rolls if you did single shot.

As far as the kits with blix, I've read that you are better off with separate bleach and fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trebla is a division of CPAC which was started by some Kodak engineers who left the company and began their own chemical supply company centered around processing and silver recovery. They do know the chemistry well, but I cannot comment on how good their current kits are. Quite a few labs use them.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    A few more suggestions:

• Check eBay. From time to time you'll find bleach or other chemicals pop up. (Bleach is of most interest to me since that's the only part that's not cost-effective to mix myself.) I bought some Fuji bleach a couple of months ago for a good price, for instance.
    • Check Unique Photo. They've got a bunch of hard-to-find stuff, including both Kodak and Fuji C-41 chemicals, the last time I checked. Their Web site is the worst e-commerce Web site I've ever seen, though; finding specific items can be tough even if you know exactly what you want. I've managed this task the couple of times I've ordered from them, but you may want to call them to talk to a salesperson if you have problems.
    • Get friendly with local minilab owners/operators. I see reports from time to time from people who can get small quantities of color photochemistry from minilab operators. I've never tried this myself, though.

Concerning the original question, unless I'm mistaken, the Tetenal C-41 kit uses a blix rather than separate bleach and fixer. I've tried C-41 blixes before, and I've never been happy with them; I get increased grain and lower contrast. PE has posted extensively on this subject in other threads, giving technical details of why this happens. Thus, I personally am not anxious to use a blix again. Some people are perfectly happy with C-41 blixes, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blixed films have a bit of a look like bleach bypass processed film. I do know how to fix the problem and am working on the problem.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's now coming back to me as to why I started with the Kodak over the Tetenal. It was the ability to use a separate bleach and fix over the blix. Glad I asked again instead of just buying the stuff. Not that I saw any problems with the negatives, but it's better to do it the right way. I guess I don't know what bleach bypass processed films look like.

When I finish the rest of the Kodak chems I'll get a kit from LabDepot and see how that goes. Thanks all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just sniped two gallons of Kodak Bleach SM (wicked fast bleach III which works in one (1) minute) off ebay for about 1/3 price which was awesome. They shipped it (illegally of course) right to my door. Lovely. The developers are easy. Some local photo stores even stock them.

Shooter
    35mm
    for photo engineer : Blixed films have a bit of a look like bleach bypass processed film ..........i think that you have exagerated a bit...i use a blix and i develop my 16mm negative film with bleach bypass at professional cine laboratory...there s a LOT of difference...i have talked with a professional chemical here in italy (ornano) that have made bleach III (the first bleach III over the world) he told me that the only problem with a blix is that i should use it one shot!

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin