Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,000   Online: 804

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pec-12 safe for Kodachrome(current stock)???

hey all,

was scanning some of my newly shot kodachrome last night, and noticed that there were some stuck dust particles to some of the film. So, out i got the pec-12 and a few pads to clean with, but after cleaning the slide, i noticed that there was a pinkish residue on the pec-pad.

i immediately stopped, and did not continue. it got the dust off, but do any of you know if this can harm kodachrome?

help would be appreciated. Since i am wet-mounting the kodachrome, i want to have it clean before I scan. I just DON'T want to harm my film.

I've also had a problem with a residue sometimes being left on film(e-6 and c-41) after cleaning with Pec-12. Didn't show up in the scans, but don't like the idea of dirty film, eww.....

Thanks
    Last edited by DanielStone; 04-15-2009 at 04:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i have also heard of people making a diluted solution of de-ionized, de-mineralized h20. the idea is to make a less-concentrated cleaner. any experience?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    hey all,

was scanning some of my newly shot kodachrome last night, and noticed that there were some stuck dust particles to some of the film. So, out i got the pec-12 and a few pads to clean with, but after cleaning the slide, i noticed that there was a pinkish residue on the pec-pad.

i immediately stopped, and did not continue. it got the dust off, but do any of you know if this can harm kodachrome?

help would be appreciated. Since i am wet-mounting the kodachrome, i want to have it clean before I scan. I just DON'T want to harm my film.

I've also had a problem with a residue sometimes being left on film(e-6 and c-41) after cleaning with Pec-12. Didn't show up in the scans, but don't like the idea of dirty film, eww.....

Thanks
    The idea is that probably pec-12 is an organic based solvent. Dust trapped inside the emulsion can be "released" only if the emulsion itself swells and Pec-12 cannot achieve this.
    In other words you have to soak the film in demineralised water plus some photo-flo or better a very diluite formaldehyde solution.
    This is just my 2 cents.

Photo Engineer has the final say, of course... :-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I thought Kodachrome was lacquered as the final step of processing, or is this info hopelessly out-of-date?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've been told that the first cleaning of kodachrome causes something to come off of it and that this is nothing to be worried about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A google search for pec12 msds finds...

Section II Composition and Ingredient Information
    Chemical Identity :
    Methanol, CAS# 67-56-1
    N-Butyl Acetate CAS 123-86-4

Old Kodak film cleaner was hexane a petrochemical solvent, not an alcohol. Is either safe? I don't really know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I thought Kodachrome was lacquered as the final step of processing, or is this info hopelessly out-of-date?
    Yes, several decades out of date.

Shooter
    35mm

SilverFast ?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    hey all,
    [...]
    I just DON'T want to harm my film. ...
    Hi Daniel, which scanner software are you using ? Have you tried SilverFast ? I'm very pleased with the results.
    They have included a dust & scratch removal tool for kodachromes a couple of months ago. (Also new are Kodachrome IT8 targets.)
    Perhaps this is a safer way than possibly ruining your film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin M. View Post
    Hi Daniel, which scanner software are you using ? Have you tried SilverFast ? I'm very pleased with the results.
    They have included a dust & scratch removal tool for kodachromes a couple of months ago. (Also new are Kodachrome IT8 targets.)
    Perhaps this is a safer way than possibly ruining your film.
    hi,

i am using an Imacon flextight 646 scanner. it is at my local photography center (covina, ca). I have had no problems scanning so far, just using the standard rgb settings as a starting point. since then i have created some profiles that i use, mostly with a minor curves adjustment to bring up shadow details a nudge.

otherwise, no problems, still can't figure out what the pinkish cast is from.

if anyone knows, please let me know. i don't want to harm my film!

thanks

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin