Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,983   Online: 848

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardv View Post
    I am still waiting for the return of 220 in Plus-X.
    That would please me a good deal more than Ektar 100 in 220, but then, I think that everything should be available in 220.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    That would please me a good deal more than Ektar 100 in 220, but then, I think that everything should be available in 220.
    Hear! Hear! Another around of drinks for every film in 220.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Reason for 220

I really, really prefer 220 because I get the dinky CD horrible scan at time of processing, particularly if using negative film as otherwise I have no idea what I have and don't own a scanner. When I find images I really like, I have them drum scanned and sometimes rent a flextight at a local place. But in the short term I use the 3 - 5 MB images on the CD scan at time of processing - which is 20 or 25 bucks per CD or something like that. It doesn't matter if its 120 or 220. So, if I go out for a 3 or 4 day shooting trip and come back with what would either be 6 rolls of 220 or 12 rolls of 120, it costs *a lot* more if I'm using 120.

And obviously, if you do 6X9, 6X12 or 6X17 then 220 rocks! And I do rent a 6X17 on ocassion.

I do have to say, though, after years of exposure and f-stop bracketing with the same camera (and going through tons of 220 because of all the bracketing ) I'm getting to the point where I take very very few pictures, and a high percentage of them come out well. My 'digital' brothers and sisters on the other hand shoot at anything that moves or doesn't move and have a very low percentage of keepers. It is all very interesting... (I don't think the shotgun approach is bad, but I do find the difference interesting. It is a hobby after all, whatever makes people happy!)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I agree: larger choice of film in 220 would be wonderful. In particular in B&W, where only txp 320 is available. Plus X would be a great choice.
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I doubt it, at a time when most manufacturers are thinking of discontinuing 220 film because of the low sales volume, I'll just be happy that they continue to make it in 120 if the level of sales justify it .
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-05-2009 at 03:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I doubt it, at a time when most manufacturers are thinking of discontinuing 220 film because of the low sales volume, I'll just be happy that they continue to make it in 120 if the level of sales justify it .
    Ditto.

When I pickup up MF again, I wanted to shoot 220 but the selection of available films was not.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Somewhat off topic but hopefully useful..

A few observations after my first roll of Ektar 100 in 120 shot and scanned. Be careful about underexposing shadow areas in a scene if you don't intend to have black shadows with very little or no detail. One stop of underexposure in shadows worked out ok for my taste but not more. Please note that a high-end scanner may give different results compared to my ones. I overexposed a few shots by about two stops (metering sunlit areas) to have good shadows and the highlights looked great. Box speed is fine for backlit scenes with low contrasts. I have read that some people rate it at 64 or 50, but I would say you should rate it according to the scene and conditions. Sometimes it will be iso 25 and sometimes box speed. Colors are beautiful but not necessarily natural. I photographed mostly violet and purple colored flowers, green leaves and grass and blue skies. The colors pop in a strange cold manner. I like it but you need to judge for yourself. The film scans very well.
    جزاك الله خير

My website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm another person who would be happy if Kodak could offer more emulsions in 220. But increasing the number of black and white options would take priority for me over Ektar 100.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Indeed. I want TMax in 220 badly!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Indeed. I want TMax in 220 badly!
    I'm a little surprised that Kodak didn't offer the new TMax 400 in 220, since Kodak seems to push their TMax films and the latest version ought to have wide professional appeal.
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin