Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,792   Online: 676

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can tone negatives too. Of course that won't affect the color of the print, but it can affect the tonal scale of the print indirectly, by changing the density range of the negative.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    Aye, just making sure. What about toning the negatives directly, does that have any impacts?
    Sage, you should never have to tone a negative unless its a last attempt at salvage, and if so it's usual in selenium toner as an intensification process for a thin negative. Other than that, don't worry about toning negs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't use RC very much but I do selenium tone and there is a noticeable change in tone and colour with the Ilford paper I use. In fact it is more pronounced than the effect I get with FB Agfa MCC (I still have a stockpile I'm working through). So tone away!

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    You need to agitate constantly, just as you would in the developer.
    I think you mean to say fixer, not developer, regarding constant agitation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    I think you mean to say fixer, not developer, regarding constant agitation.
    Agitation in the fixer isn't particularly critical, unlike during development & toning. You fix to completion so as long as you agitate well at the beginning it makes little difference after that. So Brian's comment is correct.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Agitation in the fixer isn't particularly critical, unlike during development & toning. You fix to completion so as long as you agitate well at the beginning it makes little difference after that. So Brian's comment is correct.

Ian
    Yes, I understand that, I was thinking of film development for some strange reason. My mistake! It must have been one of those senior moments. Sorry Brian! ...I said sorry twice today, already.

Paul

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgcull View Post
    When I use fiber paper I tone it with selenium, but I don't tone rc prints. Should I? I thought because of the coating, toning wouldn't affect the paper but it seems I read somewhere that even rc prints should be toned. Is that so? Do you see a color shift when you tone?

Thanks.

Janet
    A few points on the subject of archival toning:

1. Some toning is better than none.
    2. Sulphide toning is more effective than selenium.
    3. Sistan is not toning but good protection if there is no other toning.
    4. You can combine sulphide and selenium sequentially with nice results.
    5. RC and FB, both, benefit from toning.
    6. RC needs Sistan more than FB does.

Tone for longevity, but make sure it does not get in the way of an esthetic presentation. If the resulting print tone does not fit the image, you have extended the life of an ugly print!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You agitate continuously during development? I must have missed something entirely. I agitate continuously for the first 30 seconds, or until the paper is self submerging. Then I agitate by lifting a corner of my tray every 15 seconds for a total of 3 minute development time (usually).

To me it seems that I aggravate the development of black if I agitate too much, meaning some of the lower midtones get 'buried' in values that are too dark. Slowing down agitation seems to help preserve the mid-tones better.

What's the official version here?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

Ian
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    ...To me it seems that I aggravate the development of black if I agitate too much, meaning some of the lower midtones get 'buried' in values that are too dark. Slowing down agitation seems to help preserve the mid-tones better.

What's the official version here?
    "When dish/tray processing intermittent agitation is
    used. For a single sheet immerse the paper
    completely in the developer and gently rock the
    dish from side to side taking care to avoid any
    spillage. This method of agitation is used for all
    subsequent processing steps."

Above is from the Ilford fact sheet on paper developers. The agitation is required to remove reaction products from the paper surface (like bromide)and bring fresh developer to the surface as development proceeds.

Regarding toning negs I'm not sure that Se wil rescue a thin neg but you would expect it to increase the contrast of a low contrast neg by increasing the density in the highlight areas, there is an example in this months Photo Techniques magazine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love toning RC.

RC is cheap to learn on, and I love shifting the colors substantially by keeping it long and hard in the selenium or rocking the paper hard in other toners. It takes a little bit longer but it will eventually aquire the toner and in my opinion, the look is sharp. If you have managed to capture depth in your photo pretty well by getting the shadows and highlights correct, you can make areas pop out even more by deepening D-Max and contrast through the selenium.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin